Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,960 Posts
Front Giubo failures are not uncommon on V6 Alfas and I had 3 or 4 fail with no damage to the yoke. I also had one explode when the engine was making about 260 HP at 7000 rpm on a dyno and it tore the yoke to pieces but no other damage was done.
I have a Spruell Mercedes type Giubo and safety plates on my Spider. I would not drive a hot 105 without some kind of Giubo prpotection.

Reactions: 75evo

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
You can get front V6 giubo protectors from a few individuals, I can point interested parties to them. I would not rev to 7000 rpm without these. I used to do that and a few giubos eventually exploded after many years of use for street and track driving. Even for street driving I would rev the car to 7000 rpm so it’s not just for track driving. Nowadays there also bad batches of giubos. The driveshaft front yokes with splines are quite rare so I would take the proactive step in protecting them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
But what about for normal street use? Do you believe that the Ingram pieces will prevent your rubber giubo from cracking for 85,000 miles instead of 60,000 (or whatever numbers you'd like to insert)?
I was under the impression that it does help them last longer as it will limit the rubber to only compress and not twist at the bolts. I don't know if I read it somewhere or if I made that assumption myself. I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
11,560 Posts
I was under the impression that it does help them last longer as it will limit the rubber to only compress and not twist at the bolts.
I'd like to be proven wrong here, as changing giubos is one of my least favorite jobs. But I'm struggling to understand how a couple of steel plates can prevent rubber from cracking with age, heat and deformation.

The giubo is designed to stretch and compress between the six bolts to provide torsional damping. But I can't see how the plates would change how far the rubber will stretch / compress.

I'm skeptical that the bolts deform to any measurable degree in normal use. And to the extent they do deform, those three-hole plates on their outer ends wouldn't reduce the bending; they would only ensure that all three bolts bent by the same amount.

Don't get me wrong - I definitely see the value of the giubo saver plates in improving safety. Having a giubo come apart at speed, allowing the front of the driveshaft to separate from the gearbox, would be a disaster.

·
Premium Member
14,960 Posts
It is a pity that Spruell's Mercedes type Giubos are no longer available. They don't need to be compressed for removal and installation and seem to be much stronger than the original style.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
If you guys just stop to think that an ALFA is not a drag car. They are ROAD cars. The Giubos last a very long time. Da Pumpkin for example lost the U-Joints so I bought all of the necessary parts for me buddy Jeff to replace in the driveshaft. The U-Joints were but the Giubo was not. Well I got a new one! I am talking about a 48 year old part. I even own 1975's 2 of them, no problem. They have the old drive shaft.But I have 2 sets of those just in case and 2 sets for my
GTV-6's
It's how you drive them that causes all these issues. Treat your ALFA like a Lady and you'll be rewarded.

·
Premium Member
14,960 Posts
Maybe it is possible to have too much horsepower but I have not got there yet and I lack the self discipline to keep my foot off the loud pedal:)

41 - 47 of 47 Posts