Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am putting my Giulia Super together (finally!) and thought I take some pictures of the "giubo savers" that I buy from Wes Ingram. I have used them for many years on all the race cars I build and have never had a "driveshaft failure" nor had a donut (giubo) go bad. One car I ran in the 2.5 Challenge had more than 10 event weekends for over 4 years with no need to replace the donut. Thats well over 8000 driveshaft rpm, lap after lap!

And there is no vibration from this design, like we've experienced with some of the "GTA" double cup designs.

The design is so simple: by putting the unsupported ends of the output flange and driveshaft bolts in double shear, the savers prevent the flanges from distorting and failing; and they also prevent the driveshaft from moving rearward and no longer being centered by the "olive" on the transmission output shaft.

If the driveshaft is centered on the output shaft it cannot whip and cause damage. If the donut is contained it cannot push the shaft rearward.

All of the other maintenance needs to be performed on the driveshaft also: disassemble and clean and lube the slip yoke with moly wheel bearing grease; check and replace the steel pilot bushing in the front of the driveshaft if needed, (where the olive goes). Just feel in the bushing with your finger for a wear grove, and replace if there is more than just a trace of wear, lube the bushing with a small fingerfull of moly wheel bearing grease; make sure there is a rubber piece on the transmission output shaft (acts as a seal for the olive/bushing); check and replace the u-joints as needed.

Also check the output shaft olive for wear, being out of round and undersize: the dimension should be close to .707 inches for a unworn one.

The pictures should be self explanitory.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the rest of the pictures.

And what it looks like in the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
I got mine from Wes last month and posted pictures in the "Driveshaft Safety" thread.

·
Registered
what part?
10,529 Posts
i was looking into bmw's or mbz giubo's if o don't go for a single peice driveshaft.. the bmw's and mbz giubos, have a coth webbing insert to keep it more stable..jsut a thought.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
George,

I didn't see these elegant bits on Wes's site. Do you make them or does he? (Who should I call?) DEFINITELY want a set!

Robert

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Robert, call Wes direct at 360- 707-5701, Herb at 360-707-5702, or use the email link on his web site. George

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Geroge,

Thanks for sharing with us this piece of kit from Wes. I could not find it on his site either.

Just wondering, how much did they cost? Are they made of alu? looks quite thin. I am very keen to get some because I have personally witness what an exploded giubo did to my friend's coupe.. it tore right through the transmission tunnel leaving a hole that is about 1 foot sq and narrowly missing his leg.

Thanks
fgc
1750 spider

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
As an FYI, the modern donut kits now being sold by Leivian and Spruell also include the "double shear" plate. For those of you running the GTA style shields, it is a good idea to mount each shield 1/2 to perform the same function. I haven't had a donut failure, but I have had an output flange failure. One "ear" broke off the flange at about 8000 driveshaft rpm and took a chunk of the donut with it. At that time, I wasn't running any kind of shield. By some miracle, the rest of the donut held and kept the driveshaft in place. Although I now run a one-piece CF driveshaft in the racecar, I am putting a modern donut set up on my street car!

Erik

·
Registered
696 Posts
I make similar plates for GTV-6 and Milanos front and rear donuts and never had a failure with my GTV-6 race car and many street cars even with 24V engines.
I will post a picture tomorrow. Transaxle drive shafts use two sizes per donut and they are both slightly different than a 101-115 donut size.

Larry
Alfa Parts Exchange (209) 833-8330

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I forgot about this, I want a full set. Will call you.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Went on Wes's site and couldn't find them. Does someone have the direct link to these parts. Gotta change my clutch in my race car and would love to put these in.

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
Call Wes direct at 360- 707-5701, Herb at 360-707-5702,

Went on Wes's site and couldn't find them. Does someone have the direct link to these parts. Gotta change my clutch in my race car and would love to put these in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Question. I have a '91 Spider Veloce and backed up a hill and heard and felt a large loud vibration. Now when I start out in first and go in reverse, I feel a vibration under my driver seat. Sound like I tore the Giubo?

·
Registered
7 Posts
George, you do not perhaps have measurements/drawings of this support as I am on a different continent far away from Wesingram and most probably would have them to be made by an engineering shop?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
George, you do not perhaps have measurements/drawings of this support as I am on a different continent far away from Wesingram and most probably would have them to be made by an engineering shop?
No I don't, Just take the output flange from a transmission to the machine shop for the bolt pattern, and download pictures for the shape.

Or better yet, since they don't weigh much, buy them from Wes Ingram and have them fed-exed to you. Buy two sets and sell one set to make a new friend. George.:)

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Paul Spruel (Spruelmotorsport) also sells them, along with a modern (and much stronger) BMW- style flex disc that replaces the OEM guibo.

Also, the GTA-type guibo protector cage perfroms the same function as these "Ys".

Robert

1 - 20 of 47 Posts