Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Anyone rebuilt rear wheel cylinders on a 65 101 spider veloce? I've pulled them apart and am about to resleeve them. I think they're the same as triumph spitfire with a 17.78 size can anyone confirm this and does anyone have pictures do they have a spring to push piston back? Mine don't

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Check you Volvo supplier for pistons and rebuild kits these were also used on I want to say ...P1800's. There is no spring. The hardest part is getting the pistons down into the bore past that square rubber seal. Be sure you use the Girling grease and don't be cheap about it. There should be enough to do the caliper in each kit.
Resleeving is a good idea. When you put the dust covers on over the pistons, use some of that silicone grease to help keep water out.
As you have found out, rusting pistons is the major culprit here for why they fail/seize up.

I would love to hear about your Veloce for my register. I might have handy the Girling numbers for the kits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks velocedoc
I just seen your reply by the Volvo supplier I take it you mean the front brakes, I believe your right as far as I know they were also on p1800s, as for the rear wheel cylinders they were the same as triumph spitfire, (what a brilliant pommy idea that was
with those slide in tabs that lock together and trying to do that and the h/brake lever seal without scratching the newly painted backing plates, well lets just say there was a lot of colourful language) anyway they are all resleeved and on the car.
cant wait to bleed the whole system, what are your thoughts on silicone fluid? I know this has been discussed over and over, my thoughts are the only good thing about it is will not harm the paint, any one have good news about it?
cheers for now and thanks for you reply.
Michael

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Silicone works but ...

Michael
Silicone will work well in milder climates with the understanding that the entire brake system must be thoroughly cleaned of all traces of glycol-ether fluid. This is rather labor intensive.

While it makes sense in racing applications, its generally not worth the effort to change and the cost of the silicone fluid for a road car.
Annual flushing and replacement of a DOT 4 fluid canprovide years of trouble free performance from an Alfa's brake system.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
According to one of the Alfa Digests, the Girling brake parts were shared in part with the Volvo P1800 series.
I have some NOS parts and will share these numbers with you:

Master Cylinder for Sprint/Spider is Girling # 64067878 (AR # 1356.66.802)
Brake piston (large) Girling #64325561
Small piston Girling # 64325434
Brake Pads Girling #64325750
Caliper kit Girling #SP2517/2

This is from my resource page I put together some years ago for the Veloce Register website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to all for your replies on Girling Wheel cylinders as usual very useful info. this forum is great, i dont know how these cars would go back together (properly) without the information provided by all the people who go out of there way to post
thanks all Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts