Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have now owned this car for just over a year. I purchased it from a local friendly alfa guy in Southern California; prior to his ownership, the car was based in Northern California. Over this past year I have enjoyed correcting and fixing a few items. First was an oil leak from the mechanical tach drive in the water pump. I fixed this by replacing the two retaining bolts, which were too short and thus not fully engaging. I also chased the threads in the water pump and coated the small gasket with silicone gasket spray. This eliminated the three inch diameter oil puddle that appeared on the garage floor, after each drive. Next I replaced the rear suspension trunnion bushings at the differential housing. While driving the sensation was that of an AD sliding block set up with one inch of lateral play. The replaced rubber bushings were completely expired, were probably the original 50 year old units and were withered to about half the size of the fresh replacements. Next I investigated a leak seemingly from the steering box; which turned out to be a brake fluid leak from the master cylinder, dripping onto the steering box and then eventually reaching the garage floor. I corrected this issue with a new ATE master cylinder and while at it, I installed a new (the older style) dual body fluid reservoir. Yes, the car has been modified with a hanging pedal box, replacing the unique for 1969 standing pedal box. I have driven several pedal box variants, including a ’69 with standing pedals and cable actuated clutch. I like all configurations, with the only criticism being that hanging pedals feel like they have some extra flex in them, due to their lever arm length.

·
Administrator
14,506 Posts
Tidy

Pete

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
snap .I had one like this in 1985 , upgraded it to 2 litre when I blew the 1750. Not tidy though cost 1,000 dollars

nb not entirely convinced by the fuel filter above the engine. Is this mounted rigidly? if it leaks you engine gets covered in fuel?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congrats, color and condition look REALLY nice! The chrome on the front bumper is amazing :cool:

Personally I do not like those wheels, but I know they're quite common in the US.

But I agree with redmerlin, the fuel filter looks quite wrong there, and it is only a filter, not a pressure regulator. Are your Webers fine with that assembly?

·
Administrator
14,506 Posts
Congrats, color and condition look REALLY nice! The chrome on the front bumper is amazing :cool:
I assume the stainless bumper has been very well polished.
Personally I do not like those wheels, but I know they're quite common in the US.
Agree, don't suit the shape to me too, but a very personal thing :)
But I agree with redmerlin, the fuel filter looks quite wrong there, and it is only a filter, not a pressure regulator. Are your Webers fine with that assembly?
Does make it easy to service :), but yes normally not far from the distributor.

Love the colour. My car will be this colour. I think, and this is meant as a constructive comment to make your car even better, that the rear bumper is slightly angled up.

Nice car, enjoy
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
My favorite color. Very nice car.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments; recall that these are images from last year, so some changes have already been implemented.
Here is the the revised fuel line configuration. Not visible and located under the air filter element is a pressure regulator / fuel filter unit (Malpassi).

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I also installed the heavy duty (race?) engine mounts with large rectangular rubber base. With webers well balanced, the engine just purrs at idle and accelerates firmly without the annoying rocking associated with soft and worn mounts.

Here is a video from last year - the previous owner is driving: (this engine pulls...)

(321) 1969 drive - YouTube

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding bumpers, the rear bumper needed a new fender bolt and the front bumper is polished stainless (with some prior repairs that may need revisiting at some point).

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Nice looking GTV, I see that you are missing one of the slats in the grill heart. I had a bunch of them and am down to my last one, unfortunately, it is one of the shorter slats.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drove today to the Crystal Cove C&C, just south of Newport Beach. Met a few friends there that also drive Alfas. I was surprised to see a very large turn out - apparently because the San Clemente C&C has been closed.

·
Administrator
14,506 Posts
Good photo!

Pete

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After C&C I decided it was time to change the caster bushings; I replaced the upper A arms a few months ago, but left in the standard soft rubber bushings. I have used solid aluminum on other cars, but decided to use poly in this case. Here is the soft bushing that allows the caster rod to "move" more than necessary - in my opinion.

And the poly bushing:

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Taking it easy, it's a 2 hour job. If you have adjustable upper A arms, its easy to remove the outer half - just count the number it turns it takes to remove it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts