Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hotel will be the Marriott at Centerpoint, close to Alfa Romeo NA/Chrsler Headquarters in Auburn Hills. Plans include Concours of America (formerly the Meadow Brook concours) and a huge display of Alfas. Stay tuned for details.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
2014 AROC Convention -- Detroit

Dave,

Is this the same hotel as in 2007? Will you let us know when we can start making reservations in the block of rooms? Is now too soon?

I recognize Centerpointe, but I don't know why...

Is the carousel still at Greenfield Village?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Dave, thanks for the information.

My memory is that last time there was sufficient parking room for trailers, tow vehicles, RV's etc. Also, I know it's early, but is it OK to assume there will be an autocross and time trial for the "Unconvention"?

QUOTE=MotorCityDuetto;4813353]The hotel will be the Marriott at Centerpoint, close to Alfa Romeo NA/Chrsler Headquarters in Auburn Hills. Plans include Concours of America (formerly the Meadow Brook concours) and a huge display of Alfas. Stay tuned for details.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're simplifying, but cannot set details until we have more from Chrysler headquarters. As for the time trials, there will be a track event at Waterford Hills, but not a time trials. If everything goes as discussed, attendees might be flogging new Alfas around the track. But the Alfa timetable is moving again and that could cause a planing scramble.
We even discussed a night autocross with headlights on, but decided it was to dangerous for course workers. Whatever we do, there will be new twists to try and some might become standard fare and others could fail. A couple of events fall under the category of "Now for something completely different."
The objective is to create a template that allows smaller chapters to host conventions by reducing workload for the staff and cutting expenses by two-thirds, yet having a fun and entertaining regional Alfa-centric vacation. Time trials, for instance require classes, trophies, experience and lots of hours to get it right. The Detroit chapter of course has proven we can do that, but we have a different objective this time: breaking the cycle of Bigger equals Better. There will be track time for everyone who wants it, before we unleash the full grid of GTAs for entertainment and video cameras.
Yes, there is a parking area for RVs and trailers.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Dave,

All you need to do is give a sniff of information for next year's convention, and the hounds start baying & running after the fox...

Your goal of creating a template for a smaller convention sounds good. This might result in some smaller existing activities being slightly upgraded as well as new, non-national, events for geographic areas.

However, depending on availability of local clubs or chapters, some of the traditional convention activities can be "outsourced" with little effort required by convention organizers (assuming sufficient oversight). We did this with the autocross and time trials for the 2011 convention, and these worked well.

We're simplifying, but cannot set details until we have more from Chrysler headquarters. As for the time trials, there will be a track event at Waterford Hills, but not a time trials. If everything goes as discussed, attendees might be flogging new Alfas around the track. But the Alfa timetable is moving again and that could cause a planing scramble.
We even discussed a night autocross with headlights on, but decided it was to dangerous for course workers. Whatever we do, there will be new twists to try and some might become standard fare and others could fail. A couple of events fall under the category of "Now for something completely different."
The objective is to create a template that allows smaller chapters to host conventions by reducing workload for the staff and cutting expenses by two-thirds, yet having a fun and entertaining regional Alfa-centric vacation. Time trials, for instance require classes, trophies, experience and lots of hours to get it right. The Detroit chapter of course has proven we can do that, but we have a different objective this time: breaking the cycle of Bigger equals Better. There will be track time for everyone who wants it, before we unleash the full grid of GTAs for entertainment and video cameras.
Yes, there is a parking area for RVs and trailers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
George,
True, but not every location has a track. It is not required at all and never has been. There are compromises in building the template, such as including the track because we have one nearby and know how to use it. Chrysler Media told us they want to be involved, but cannot be specific as to how until other aspects of the Alfa Romeo organization are in place. e.g., they'll help with dealer support, but who will be the Alfa dealers next July? Maserati or Fiat? Will we have a grid of new Giulias to flog, or will only the (sold out by then) 4C be available? Doing our best to nail down answers in a time of transition.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
glad to hear it'll be local this year! i've never been to a convention. Is it the same weekend as the vintage races at waterford? if forced to choose, i'll be at the TA race at WHRRI. but hopefully the schedules are such that those of us racing can check things out off the track a bit too.

WHRRI always does a small concourse in downtown clarkston. it's on friday before the race(s). might be another opportunity to get some cars out and about?

just a thought,

I might even have my stepnose ready to show..or at least drive!

KC

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
July 19-27, 2014 (including tours).
We'll be at Waterford Hills on Wednesday, the Historics begin Thursday. Yes, it was planned that way.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
July 19-27, 2014 (including tours).
We'll be at Waterford Hills on Wednesday, the Historics begin Thursday. Yes, it was planned that way.
So I don't miscalculate by a couple of days in requesting vacation on either side, what are the dates without the tours included? Is this a 4-day or 5-day convention? Beginning in the middle of the week on the old format or beginning earlier in the week as more recent conventions have?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
July 23-27, not counting the Lake Superior Tour.
Concours of America is an option for Sunday and not part of the convention, although we may have group tickets available. It will be decided later this month whether Alfa Romeo will be the featured marque for 2014.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Dave,
I very much like the idea of smaller, less complicated conventions, as an alternative for the smaller clubs. Adding a regional convention every so often could be a great thing for AROC as a whole. I would like to investigate the possiblilties.

Please keep me in the loop as to these discussions, whenever and wherever they happen. It was great talking with you at the Alfa California convention, and hope we can expand the conversation.

Scott

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coming Soon

The Great Lakes Alfa convention registration form is being published in the February issue of Alfa Owner. A website announcement will follow after the magazine is distributed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Trouble in Paradise...er, Pontiac

Well, I made my hotel reservation today, sort of. Two problems arose.

1. The hotel group code as shown on the Host Hotel Info page of the convention site is incorrect. It is not "Alfa Romeo 2014." That won't fit. The real event code is simply "Alfa." It was given to me by the reservations clerk at the hotel. You'll need it if you try to reserve on line.

2. As of this afternoon, there is apparently NO SPACE AVAILABLE in our block of rooms for Tuesday, July 22, the first day of the convention. Plenty of space for the rest of the time, though. I find this unusual. The clerk booked me space at the $189 regular rate and said she would check with the sales office to see if they would honor the $109 special rate for that first night. I hope so. If not I expect there will be some unhappy campers.

This stuff happens, I know. I just hope things are resolved relatively quickly.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
On the marriott.com website, the group code needs to be seven characters. I called and the woman on the phone told me it was ALFALFA, which does appear correct.

I still completed my reservation on the phone, since they had no rooms available at the $109 group rate on the 22nd, as Rabhalter noted. However, my rep called the sales office and they extended the $109 rate to the 22nd.

Until it gets resolved, I would encourage those who are arriving on the 22nd to call central reservations (1-800-228-9290) rather than use the website. If you are arriving on the 23rd or later, the ALFALFA group code on the website should work.

These minor hiccups aside, very much looking forward to it. Thanks for organizing.

Jim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts