Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good even guys. I was approached by a friend of mine who owns a 1958 Alfa Spyder 2000 Touring. It was originally owned by his father who had recently passed away and was in the proccess of restoring the car. To make a long story short. As with any of us, we would not think twice about going forward with the legacy of the car.

Ill get to the point. My friend took the car to a mechanic to get the engine rebuilt. 3 months later, the car is still sitting lifeless. Mentioned the oil pump. He had approached me with an oppurtunity to get the car running. Motor has all new internals but just wont turn over. Im honored to have the chance to work on this beautiful machine. I personally own a 2000 BMW 540i Sport and do all the work on it myself. I read until my eyes bleed on the repair job that I may be doing at the time. Just want the job done right.

Now as pertaining to the subject. I first want to apologize for not doing any research on the Spyder. I would rather take current suggestions from owners than trusting a post that I browsed by someone who doesnt know what they are talking about. How "user friendly" is the car when it comes to working on the mechanical aspect of the vehicle?

Any suggestions will not be taken lightly as I am not here to waste your guys time. I know the bmw forum Im a member of, questions can get redundant in a heartbeat. I know if I see another cooling system thread on the E39s, I will pull my hair out. But thats what makes a great forum. Everyone reaching out to help. With that said. I am off to do some research. Thank you for reading thru this long thread.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
Welcome to the BB. There are BB members here quite familiar with these cars. The purpose of the BB is to help others with questions and the care of all things Alfa Romeo.
An owner that does his own careful research, and has either wrench twisting experience, or knowledge of how to separate the wanna-be Italian car mechanics from the real ones, will have few problems IF they are patient.
Mechanical work and parts sourcing is no different with older Alfa's than older BMW's Mercedes, or other foreign or domestic vintage automobiles.
As a group, we suffer redundant questions pretty well. There really are no dumb questions. Many of the BB members have specialities. These are the members you will need to befriend. We do have members that are professional Alfa Romeo mechanics, body builders, electricians, and part fabricators and suppliers. I have had NO bad experiences with BB members.
These cars have a learning curve, like any other marque, but with research, you can avoid pitfalls such as a rebuilt engine that will not turn over! There are some tricks, that most members are very willing to share.
The best place to start is with the correct factory shop manual for the vehicle in question. Some are rare, but available as reprints, or even photocopies. With a brief study of the problem and manual, your questions will be directed to the audience that can best offer a correct answer, or at least, an interesting opinion!
Have fun. Welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yeah I realized that I had posted in the wrong forum last night. I do appriciate all of the responses. From what I have been seeing on this particular model, it is the pressure relief valve on the oil pump. Im going to investigate further and see the symptoms and repairs. Thank again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts