Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I would like to see if I can get the engine started on my '95 LS.

I suspect that the fuel is muck and teh fuel pump is now junk.

Is there a way (without blowing myself up) to use say a fuel can and an in-line pump to feed fuel to the engine just to see if it will indeed start. Car may likely get parted out so right now it does not need to be a permanent fix. Just want to determine if engine actually runs or not.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yes you need a spare car with a functioning fuel line extended into the subject car.

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
I was using a spare 164 to supply fuel by running long fuel line/hose from fuel line near upper engine mount to inlet of fuel rail of engine you are trying to start and a return line from engine in question's outlet on fuel rail regulator to return hose removed from regulator of car with good tank.

Then from tank car you remove fuel pump relay (non red-stripe one) on top radiator mount and jumper pin socket 30 (pink wire) to pin socket 87 with pink-white wire.

You must run this return line or fuel pressure will blow a line or damage something in fuel system.

Turn on key of tank car and hear feul running through fuel rail of engine you are trying to test.

I now have spare tank, pump and steel fuel lines and rubber hose so I can do it with out to much trouble from daughter's wrecked car so I now use that tank and pump instead of second tank car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to interrupt thread, but there is a second fuel pump relay? I thought it *was* the relay with the red stripe?

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
Sorry to interrupt thread, but there is a second fuel pump relay? I thought it *was* the relay with the red stripe?
That S12b red strip relay with diode is to power engine computer S11 and to send power to S12a fuel pump relay energizing coil pin 86, S3 injectors, S29 idle actuator and M15 evaporation solenoid valve.

To trick S12a fuel pump relay to run pump with out computer system grounding S12a relay pin 85 with engine running you have to remove S12a fuel pump relay and jumper pin 30 to pin 87 and turn on key.

See page 548-549 in 24v wiring book and 596-597 in 12v wiring book.

So yes red stripe S12b has to do it's job with engine running to send power to fuel pump relay to energize it once computer grounds S12a relay but not needed to run pump for testing or pumping fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts