Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum, having recently purchased my all-time dream car, a 1983 Alfasud Ti QV. I'm in the process of bringing it back into the condition I would like. At the same time I'm having an absolute ball driving it - I feel like the Genie in the Mini advert shown on SBS...

One of the things that urgently needs replacing are the gearlever inner and outer gaiters (boots), as at the moment I'm getting lots of hot air (and warm gearbox oil smells) into the ****pit.

Thanks to Enri I have the necessary replacement boots bits, but to fit them I need to remove the gearknob (it's the long tapered version like that on the later Sprints).

How in blazes can I remove the thing - I suspect that at some stage in its life its been glued on :mad:.

Andrew Matusiewicz

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations on a great purchase Andrew.

The gearknob is pushed on, so it WILL pull off. If somebody's glued it on, then you'll have to pull harder! If you can twist it, even a little bit, then it's not glued.

The key thing is that it's not screwed on, and you won't break it by pulling hard on it.

Th eabove all assumes that it's the factory gearknob. If not, all bets are off!

Another, sneakier way, is to pull off the yoke under the car, where it bolts through the gearbox rear extension. You'll need to pull out the long 6mm bolt, and also the short one that holds the shift linkage to the front of the yoke. If you can't get under the car easily, forget this method.

While you're in there, replace the tiny little nylon bush at the bottom of the gear lever and the rattles will stop!

Good luck.

Chris

·
Registered
755 Posts
Your not pulling hard enough!:) you should just be able to pull it off, depends how well it was shoved on originally. If its glued, then cutting it off might be the only solution.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, after much twisting and tugging (I can already hear the sniggers :rolleyes::rolleyes:), the little bugger (aka an Alfasud gear knob) has been removed. Fitting the inner boot alone has stoped the inflow of heat and smells (and road noise come to think of it).

All the more able to hear the rasp of the exhaust when I change above 4,000 rpm :D:D:D.

BTW, I love the crackle on the overun!

Thanks for the advice folks...

Andrew Matusiewicz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts