Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine was restored 30 years ago with new pistons etc. It was restored as a spare part for a true GTam, but has never been used.

The previous pistons (original ones) can be seen with the engine.

The engine runs freely. And the cylinderhead is not screwed.

So you can see that the engine is in very good condition.

Fully original. With siamese liners, lucas pump and oil filter under bellhouse, 1750 cc. A genuine autodelta engine masterpiece

Price on request, PM if very serious interest

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry to tell you that you're wrong..... 1750, then 2000

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
GTAM

GTAM used a 1750 block with the siamesed single liner for approx 2L displacement.
Also available from Alfa was a 1600 block with the single liner for approximately 1900 displacement.
I have owned both. Wanted to use the 1900 in my Dad's TZ but never made it. Would have been a killer TZ!

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
I'm sorry to tell you that you're wrong..... 1750, then 2000
Can we please talk actual cc size. With the Nord engine there is no 1750cc engine, it's 1779cc and is called a 1800 in the Alfetta but still the same bore and stroke. And sorry but I'm on the camp where all GTAm engines were 1985cc thanks to the monoliner.

[EDIT:]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_GTA#GTAm said:
The original 1750 engine block (actually 1779 cc) was used and by inserting a monosleeve instead of four individual cylinderliners, received 1,985 cc (2.0 L; 121.1 cu in) and later to 1,999 cc (2.0 L; 122.0 cu in) to participate in the 2000 cc class
This is the first time I have ever read of the 1999cc GTAm engine (most likely created by a tiny over bore to 84.8mm's ... or an offset crank grind to produce a 89.1mm stroke), so same engine just prepared slightly differently so it had 14cc more.
[/EDIT]

Pete

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The original GTAm engines were 1750 block with monobloc sleeve but there are also GTAm engines built on a 2000 block using a 1300 narrow angle head with modified combustion chambers ...

Anyway, Lucas injection is at least somewhat rare ... as compared to the more common SPICA

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first GTam was equipped with Spica pumps, then with Lucas pump.

For détails about the types of GTam, I'm curious if you have specific information coming from books I don't have.

I've attached the 3 pages of the Fusi book related to GTam.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
The original GTAm engines were 1750 block with monobloc sleeve but there are also GTAm engines built on a 2000 block using a 1300 narrow angle head with modified combustion chambers ...
Wonder why they would use the 1962 block when the cc limit was 2000cc and they could reach that with the 1779 block and the monoliner?

They would have ended up with the odd and unequal combustion chambers ... but then Alfa did lots of weird things ...
Pete

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The 1750 block needs to be machined to take the monobloc liner which weakens the structural integrity of the block ... liner shift?. This is compensated by glueing in the the monobloc liner with Araldite epoxy. The reduced integrity of the block in combination with cylinder spacing and overbore results in limited sealing surface between cylinders which causes issues with headgasket sealing. Most 1750 GTAm motors used in historic racing have issues keeping their headgaskets ... may have been less of an issue in the day when new factory replacement stuff was available.

A 2000 block has different cylinder spacing and greater headgasket sealing surfaces and is not machined and weakened in the crank area ... therefore fewer issues. The offset combustion chambers are just like the factory did with standard 2000 heads ... yes odd and unequal but there seems to be no great issue with that judging by the number of 2000 motors running around.

Anyway, the one for sale here looks like the real thing ...

Wonder why they would use the 1962 block when the cc limit was 2000cc and they could reach that with the 1779 block and the monoliner?

They would have ended up with the odd and unequal combustion chambers ... but then Alfa did lots of weird things ...
Pete

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
Thanks. Did not know the 1750 version of the GTAm engine (1985cc) had head gasket issues. Thought the monoliner resolved all that.
Pete

Reactions: Monti77

·
Registered
767 Posts
They used 1750 as the base because by the time of the homologation 2000 did not exist. The car was homologated in 1969 to satisfy new rules, be in a 4 seater category.

1750 was a name given by the marketing reasons the same as 2000.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts