Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my '78 Spider tonight, I noticed that my generator light starts to come as as I hit 4000 rpm, then glows more brightly as I exceed 4000 rpm. Once I drop below 4000, the light goes out. (I never noticed the light coming on during the day though it's possible it's coming on then as well and I just haven't noticed. Otherwise I'm guessing running the lights at night is the difference). Should I assume an alternator issue, or is there another possibility? If alternator, can I just service it (worn brushes) or is the only fix to replace it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
How many volts at the battery do have at idle and say 3k RPM?

·
Administrator
17,974 Posts
Certainly the alternator can be serviced/rebuilt. That is the way I prefer. Find an auto electrical rebuilder - usually on the bad side of the tracks in the run down section of a medium size town. They will take your old unit apart, clean it, replace any worn parts and test it after assembly.

Is the drive belt properly tensioned? There should be ~1/2" deflection from thumb pressure along the longest span. Too tight wears out the bearings, too loose allows it to slip.

·
Premium Member
15,009 Posts
There are rebuild instructions in one of the factory manuals that is on the Cardisc set. I agree with Eric - check the belt first. Otherwise could be brushes or a bad diode - both easy to replace.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Belt seems to fine -- tension is about right and still plenty of grip on it. Interesting thing is that light only comes on at night after 4000 rpms, I guess because of the extra drain of the lights.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'd still suggest you get a baseline on the volts at the battery before you start tearing into things.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
first check is how many volts do you have across the battery at tick over, like tdskip asked?
If alternator is dodgy (or regulator for that matter) all sorts of gremlins will appear!

·
Premium Member
15,009 Posts
You need to measure the current under full load to properly test the alternator. Poor brushes can give good voltage but not current. You could monitor the voltage then turn on everything - lights, heater blower, stereo, etc. and see if the voltage holds up.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I have experienced that symptom a couple of times in the past, and on both occasions the alternator died shortly after. My guess is that a loop of wire on the armature has come loose, and under centrifugal force contacts the housing causing a short. Of course, it could be something else. But I'm guessing it's more than a loose belt.

Your car won't go up in flames or anything. But, I wouldn't plan any 500 mile trips across the desert before getting it fixed.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,041 Posts
alfajay..pftt.... where is the aventure in that.. crossing the desert, at night.. come on.. this is not a lucas car( would say british, but i have british car freinds)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts