Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed the Generator indicator glowing on my '72 Berlina.
At first, pressing the accelerator would remove the glow of the light, but then it was persistent. A pull up of the handbrake and the press of the accelerator would vary the intensity of the red light. Then a friend of mine noticed that there was a bolt missing from the alternator I believe to the engine block. Does anyone know where I could pick up a bolt to attach the bracket?
Thanks for any advice given..
Sincerely, Joe

·
Registered
598 Posts
Joe if the belt is tight and the Charge light is on, first check all the big grounds, and clean them well. My Alfetta did this for years, with good charging, so one day i cleaned every ground I could find and the problem went away. If you have a Multimeter, you can also check the charging voltage, at the battery. It should be in excess of 12.5 volts at idle. What exactly does this bolt hold? Where exactly is it at (pic). Todd

·
Registered
174 Posts
My light also started coming on like that in my Giulia race car. And then actually came on constantly the day before/on the day of an endurance race. Ran in the endurance race and had to use headlights and spotlights as it got dark. Car started spluttering towards the end and I thought I was running out of petrol. Parked the car after my stint, and when I tried to start it again it was as dead as a doornail. Alternator needed overhauling.

·
Registered
174 Posts
sutera_ci said:
Then a friend of mine noticed that there was a bolt missing from the alternator I believe to the engine block. Does anyone know where I could pick up a bolt to attach the bracket?
Is that the bracket with the slot in it that allows for adjustment of the alternator and belt and that is attached near the water pump?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shaun C said:
Is that the bracket with the slot in it that allows for adjustment of the alternator and belt and that is attached near the water pump?
yes that is it. the water pump bolt is broken. i may just need to either drill out the bolt or repl water pump. sory y ys that i know so little. willporov photo this evening. by the way, thank you sincerely for yours nd Todd's help!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Photo of area without bolt

Todd, Sean:
here is a photo of the area I'm concerned about:
Apparently, this should have a bolt from the water pump to this bracket.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Joe that should be easy to fix, but I believe thats a broken stud. I'll go have a look at my 2 liter to confirm.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Joe

I should know this as I just took my water pump off last weekend - but I'm new to all of this, so pls forgive me.

I actually think it's a bolt into the waterpump - I think I just loosened that particular bolt and took the waterpump out with the bracket attached. But the waterpump is held in with studs from the motor.

Are you saying that the head of the bolt onto the waterpump looks like it has snapped off? If so I think if you were going to try drill it out you'd have to take the water pump off anyway, so it may be worth getting a new waterpump while you're at it, as I personally think it's a pain in the a$$ job to do. I don't think your new waterpump will come with that bolt though, but I'm sure any bolt of the same size and length will do. We'll see what the others have to say about that.

But I don't think that will solve your problem with the generator light unless the alternator is loose and maybe not turning the belt properly - if the other bolts on the alternator are tight I would think it still be held in place well enough. I'm no expert in that dept either so we'll see what the others advise.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
If the light stays on, put a voltmeter on the battery and see what you're getting. You should see 13-14 volts when revving up. If you don't see in that range, either the regulator or alternator is not working right. It could be something as simple as a bad connection or ground.
Andrew

·
Registered
481 Posts
Broken Stud

Greetings All,
Keep in mind the cause of the broken stud in the w/p may have been because the lower pivot/mounting bolt had not been tightend up after a belt adjustment. If this is not done, it can lead to all sorts of problems, such as elongated holes in the alternator/gen mount and in the front cover of the engine.
Regards, Ian.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Good advice, VeloceOne!
In addition, there's supposed to be a wave washer on the stud between the nut and bracket and the nut needs to be tight as well. If loose, the vibrating bracket will eventually cut the stud in half.
If you're successful in removing the broken piece Joe, let me know and I'll dig out and send you a good used stud.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Andrew. Yep, definitely getting 13-14 volts when revving up, which is good news.
possibly just bad connection or ground as you say. But the matter of the broken bolt is another altogether, and I'm sorry i mixed the two issues...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you bigtime VeloceOne, and Papajam! Will follow to see if there is evidence of these other issues, and if I am able to remove the bolt. Is it easier to just install new w/p as Shaun mentioned?
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Lock Nut

figleaf11,
Are you sure? About the "jam nut"? The ones that I have seen are the same thread, just that they are double nutted up and that is what locks the pair. Regards, Ian

·
Registered
174 Posts
Shaun C said:
I actually think it's a bolt into the waterpump...
Hey Joe

Made a mistake there - it is actually a stud fitted to the waterpump. But I honestly have no idea if the stud can be removed and replaced.

I was told this weekend that the waterpumps are actually quite durable so maybe you could fix the stud and stick with the old pump. I don't know how easy it will be to source an new one where you're at, or how expensive?

Good to hear that your alternator is still charging then - must be a bad earth.

Cheers

Shaun

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey thanks foreverything shaun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts