Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Convention Airports

When I search for airline tickets is one airport better than the other as far as security, amenities, car rental etc. or is one closer or more convenient to the hotel?

I'm being given the choices of YTZ for Toronto City Centre Airport and YYZ for Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport. The air fare to both airports is identical at this time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hi Cheryl,

Good question. The City Center airport is on Toronto Island in the near the heart of the downtown core. Pearson is Toronto's main large airport. I would tend to think security measures would be similar, but for amenities and car rentals you better off with Pearson.

Aswell, Pearson is very close to the convention hotel, maybe 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hi. Do you have to be a AROC member to register?
AFAIK, if not presently a member of a recognized North American Alfa-owners club (ARA, ARCC, AROC) then one must pay an additional registration fee equivalent to AROC membership dues ($60).

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
General Convention Discussion/Health Insurance etc.

Dave,

In reading the .pdf above, am I to assume even though Anthem Blue Cross/PERS Choice has assured me that I'm covered world-wide, including Canada, I'm really not?

Also I've crossed several times using the Windsor Tunnel with Pat to go to dinner, but really didn't pay attention to the time it took from Dexter. What is the time from DTW with a rental car to Toronto? I'm also assuming from reading the attached document that it is better to rent a car in the U.S. and drive into Canada. I've discovered the airfare to DTW is half that of flying direct to Toronto.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
About 4-1/2 hours from DTW to Convention Hotel....plus border crossing - if carrying contraband or otherwise looking "suspicious" you may need to allow for that.....:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Medical payment

Dave,

In reading the .pdf above, am I to assume even though Anthem Blue Cross/PERS Choice has assured me that I'm covered world-wide, including Canada, I'm really not?
Even in the U.S., hospitals can decide if they accept an insurance carrier.
As a general rule, Canadian hospitals and clinics do not accept insurance. Canadians coming to U.S border cities for treatments, surgery or dialysis also pay cash.

·
Registered
298 Posts
After a bit more investigation, 'covered world wide' needs an asterisk. You'll need to make immediate payment in Ontario. However, most Blue Cross will eventually reimburse medical expenses covered by the policy. The next problem is trying to get any Canadian medical billing office to handle the much more complex American insurance forms using unfamiliar diagnosis and treatment codes. Good luck.
To be safe, assume that you have no medical insurance. That and you'll have to wait in line for treatment, but it will cost much less. You might notice other small differences as well, such as OTC cortizone cream is twice the strength allowed in the States. If you go to a drug store, read the labels.
I wrote that travel info article at the request of Toronto convention organizers, who wanted an American viewpoint from someone who thinks of Ontario as the place next door and could relate differences native Canadians might miss. Plus my wife is from Toronto.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
FYI: Medical Insurance for visitors to Canada can be purchased from Canadian companies (such as HSBC, see here). Coverage of CAD 150k for the duration of the convention is about $40 per person and can be purchased within 150 days before entering Canada or from within Canada with a 48h waiting period until the insurance becomes effective.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Convention Registration Opens!

Registration for Alfa Canadese, the 2012 National Convention for Alfa Romeo Clubs opened today.

Attached is a copy of the registration form and the convention schedule. You can use this form to register or use the online registration system at Alfa Canadese - 2012 ARCC/AROC Convention to complete your registration online.

Please remember that a number of the events have maximum capacities. Avoid disappointment by registering early.

Yours in Alfas,

John & Oliver

Alfa Canadese Co-Chairs

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Will there be tech sessions?
Hella yeah HMA - you're hosting them AND sponsoring them!!!! :rolleyes:
(You can start one on your experiences with RR and BH!) :eek:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
TZ3 Stradale to be featured at the convention

Alfa Canadese organizers are pleased to announce that the iconic TZ3 Stradale will be a featured car at the convention. This car, the first of only nine copies, will be prominently displayed throughout the convention and will be part of a special showcase at the Concorso d’Eleganza.

For more details of the car plus more photos, please visit Alfa Canadese - 2012 ARCC/AROC Convention

Attachments

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
I just completed my hotel and conference registration. Planning to arrive on Thursday after a 8+ hour ride -- half of it across Canada on the 401.

I think my last annual conference was in Seattle so I am looking forward to this one.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
50th Anniversary of the Giulia?

In Balocco Italy at the exact same as this convention Alfa and many EU Alfisti are going to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Giulia and the 105. Are there any plans to do likewise in Toronto? It would be cool to see each year of the Giulia (Ti/Super) represented in a special section devoted to the anniversary.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts