Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the place to discuss general convention issues and questions. Please view the subsequent threads to discuss a specific activity. Note the schedule is being finalized and registration has not yet opened. Please view our convention website for updates Home

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
convention registration and schedule

Watch for the official announcement of the 2011 AROC national convention, Alfas in the Bluegrass, in the January issue of the club magazine, The Alfa Owner. There will be a registration form and event schedule. This convention is sponsored by the Ohio Valley chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club.

Please check out our website at Home

Our website guru is still concocting some of the drop-downs and content, but there's plenty of information available.

Watch this thread for further information, or post any questions you may have by topic or event. Viva Alfa! The start of the NEXT 100 years...

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
General Convention Discussion

I've xeroxed the Alfa Owner to cut the glare and enlarged it so that I can try and read it...

My question -- as far as I can tell the first available registration is 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday at the Lexington Hotel, but the time trial participants and others that are expected to be at the track are staying overnight in Indiana on Tuesday; are they on a list so a name tag or entrance card is not necessary? Or have other arrangements been made to pick up registration materials prior to the Wednesday at 7:00 a.m. shown?

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheryl,

Good question. We will be communicating with each time trial participant prior to the event to establish car classification, skill group level, etc. Our plan is to have some form of advance registration at the motel. Track entrance gate process TBD, but we will assure this will not be a hassle. Further details will be posted in the time trial thread.

Regarding the registration form fine print; we had to fit a lot of information on one page in the Alfa Owner, so it came out sort of like an eye test chart. One other registrant has already sent in an enlarged entry form so you are not alone regarding the print size issue, and this will be included in our after-convention summary. We will have on-line registration available soon, and you should be able to enlarge this on your PC screen

And, thanks for attending.

I've xeroxed the Alfa Owner to cut the glare and enlarged it so that I can try and read it...

My question -- as far as I can tell the first available registration is 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday at the Lexington Hotel, but the time trial participants and others that are expected to be at the track are staying overnight in Indiana on Tuesday; are they on a list so a name tag or entrance card is not necessary? Or have other arrangements been made to pick up registration materials prior to the Wednesday at 7:00 a.m. shown?

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely. There will be no charge for track admission (and you can see the entire track from the control tower). You will, however, be asked to sign an insurance waiver.

Will people who want to just watch the TT be able to get into the track too?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
It going to be a great time! I look forward to seeing many friends,, AND racing,,

I am also very excited to do a tech seminar. I will be doing a session called;

"Alfa Rust, a Practical Assessment, and when is it 'Terminal'?"
It is my hope to educate people as to when NOT to kill an Alfa, because of some rust.

Alex, we HAVE to make sure the Music program is coordinated! I expect some fun Alfa Jams in the parking lot. I mean, Bluegrass is a great music form and fun to play!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It going to be a great time! I look forward to seeing many friends,, AND racing,,

Alex, we HAVE to make sure the Music program is coordinated! I expect some fun Alfa Jams in the parking lot. I mean, Bluegrass is a great music form and fun to play!!
There will be no "Late Night Parking Lot Crooning" at this convention. Lexington is a respectable town.

Bud Feigel; Sargent at Arms........

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
There will be no "Late Night Parking Lot Crooning" at this convention. Lexington is a respectable town.

Bud, or should I say, Sargent (sic)
I hope you have arrangements with the militia, because that is likely what it will take to stop HMA, et al from crooning in the parking lot!!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
General Convention Discussion

There will be no "Late Night Parking Lot Crooning" at this convention. Lexington is a respectable town...
The picture on the Alfa 2011 Convention website of the parking lot gathering, was shot over my right shoulder by the AROC president...

Should we expect the militia as Gordy indicates or should I just gather up the "darkside" members? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This will probably not be a problem; Bud's friend, John Duncan is

1. Bigger than Bud

2. Likes to sing in the parking lot...

Stay "Tuned"...for further developments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Don't listen to Budsy...he has been huffing Helium out of his welding cylinder!:D:D:D We'll definitely be cranking some 'slo blak spydr bluz'!:D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Online Registration is now OPEN

Online Registration for the 2011 AROC Convention Alfas in the Bluegrass is now open.

This site offers users the ability to register online for convention activities and pay via major credit/debit card.

To get to the site you can visit the registration page on our Alfas in the Bluegrass website or follow this link: ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR ALFAS IN THE BLUEGRASS

Be sure to let us know (see registration site for contact info) if you experience any difficulty utilizing this site.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
General Convention Discussion/Covered Bridges

Are the covered bridges shown in the Alfa Owner located in Kentucky or are they being explored as part of the pre-convention tour only? Is there a map or prepared instructions for self-touring of the covered bridges if they're located in proximity to the Campbell House or are we on our own to find them? We enjoyed exploring the covered bridges in Maryland. Kind of like old home week for a U.S. Colonial History major, who has already done the original 13 colonies; just expanding the states visited.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Are the covered bridges shown in the Alfa Owner located in Kentucky or are they being explored as part of the pre-convention tour only? Is there a map or prepared instructions for self-touring of the covered bridges if they're located in proximity to the Campbell House or are we on our own to find them? We enjoyed exploring the covered bridges in Maryland. Kind of like old home week for a U.S. Colonial History major, who has already done the original 13 colonies; just expanding the states visited.
Hi Cheryl:

Yes. There are several in central KY, most within 90 minutes or less from Lexington. I haven't seen the pre-convention tour route, so I cannot speak to whether they are on the tour. They will be part of the self tour. Here is a link to get you started: Bridges to the Past - Kentucky's Remaining Covered Bridges

Coville pictured here. Owner with Dave's yellow spider is Goddard.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Covered bridge/tour question

Hi Cheryl-- From one history fan to another, I'll chime in on what John has already told you regarding your question. Yes, there are three covered bridges on Alfa Touring in the first leg that are located in northeastern Kentucky. There may be one or two more out of state that Touring Chairman Steve Hawkins has planned, but I'm not aware of those. There are 13 covered bridges still existing in Kentucky, some of which bear local (restricted) traffic. The oldest is near Maysville, and dates from circa 1840's. You have a choice of seeing covered bridges on Alfa Touring, which traverses three states, or the self-guided tours available via the hotel dedicated PC. We have complete and detailed route instructions available on the self-guided tour which will take you to up to six bridges, and will occupy most of a day! It was a tour route we set up back in 2005, and ran again in 2007 for our regional Alfisti. It goes from Lexington to Maysville (on the Ohio River), and back, and will literally guide you turn-by-turn.

Either way, I know you'll enjoy the experience. We'll soon have posted on the website the URL's for the locations on the self guided tours. This will allow folks to check out the websites ahead of time for those places they'd like to visit during convention "downtime". For the history enthusiast, there's a lot to see in these parts, but try not to miss Shakertown (35-40 minutes south of Lexington), Perryville Civil War Battlefield (80-90 minutes south, Boyle County), Ashland, Henry Clay's estate here in town, or the capitol city of Frankfort (site of Daniel and Rebecca Boone's graves).

Sorry to get windy, but I told you I'm a history fan!;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.