Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the transmission tower exposed while replacing a torn inner boot and thought I'd clean the breather vents.

Aware that in tandem they kind of support/align the shifter, I pulled and cleaned them one at a time, starting with the right side.

I removed the two M6 bolts that held the right breather assembly to the tower, and then extracted it along with the two thin shims that sit under it's mounting flange.

Left behind, on the horizontal shifter pin were two washers: One flat one on the outside, and behind it a bent/spring type washer.

The first picture below shows the breather assembly and the first flat washer that I pulled off the horizontal shifter rod. The second picture isn't very clear, but it's supposed to be showing the spring washer that was underneath the flat washer on the shaft.

After I pulled both of the washers off the horizontal pin, I cleaned them along with the breather unit and reinstalled everything.

Then I went to work on the left vent. To my surprise, after I removed the left vent assembly, only one flat washer was left behind on the horizontal shifter pin. Is this correct? Are there supposed to be two different washers (one flat and one curved spring-type) under the right breather assembly, but only one flat washer under the left breather assembly? Or do I need to go out and buy another spring washer for the left side (because somebody forgot to replace the one that belongs there the last time it was apart)?

I can't find any drawings that show how many (and the types of) washers that should be under each breather unit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
The second spring washer is MIA. It is not necessary, but was supposed to be there.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
mine has wave and a thin flat washer on the left; just a single, but slightly thicker, washer on the right side.

post edited;)

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
shifter

They typical shim/washer package is only a thicker flat one on the right side.
The left has both. This is to keep some tension on the assembly to prevent rattling.
The key element is the ultra thin shims on the outside of the tower that are used to center the shift selector in the center shift rod. (as well they correctly tension the spring washer`s force on the pivot shaft.)

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
They typical shim/washer package is only a thicker flat one on the right side.
The left has both. This is to keep some tension on the assembly to prevent rattling
oops! you are dead right!.....got my right/left mixed up.
will edit my post so it doesn't cause confusion to someone.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will move spring washer to left

Thank you all so much. I figured the curved "spring" washer was there to provide tension, but wasn't sure if the pivot shaft needed one on both sides. It's strange that all of you say it belongs on the left, while mine was on the right.

Is it possible that it can be on either side, i.e., doesn't make a difference?

Oh and I do have 2 thin metal gasket/shims under the flange on each side. I assume that is correct.

Anyway, based on the group's consensus, tonight I will:
1. pull the right side vent assembly again,
2. remove both washers from the right pivot shaft,
3. re-install just the flat washer on the right pivot shaft,
4. re-install the the right breather unit,
5. remove the left side vent assembly and left flat washer,
6. place the spring washer behind the flat washer on the pivot shaft, and then
7. install the left breather unit.

Anyone have the recommended torque specs for the M6 bolts that hold the breathers to the tower?

·
Registered
446 Posts
In my experiences, the shifter uses only one wavy washer. Nominal torque spec for a 6mm bolt is 6-9 Ft-lbs. Don't over-tighten small bolts threaded into aluminum. Installing those small heli-coils can be a real pita!

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Richard has seen way too many of these transmissions, so I'll completely admit my previous comment incorrect.
One of my transmissions has 2 wavy washers, and 2 similar flat washers. This was assembled by AUSCA in the mid 60's. They probably had a reason, or too many spare parts!

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
washer switch

When I moved the curved/bent tension washer from the right pivot shaft to the left one, I discovered that the flat washer being used along with the spring washer was thinner than the flat washer that was stationed solo on the left. As a result, I moved both the curved "spring" washer and the thin flat washer from the right pivot shaft to the left pivot shaft.
During the whole process I also discovered that the washers used with the M6 bolts (that hold the breather tubes to the tower) were also of the "curved" or "spring" type. I also determined that two ultra-thin spacers are used under each vent housing, and the four thin gasket/spacers are all the same thickness (about 0.27mm or 0.275mm each).
I've included some pictures of the various washers and spacers used with these vent assemblies:
photo 1: pivot shaft tensioner (spring) washer (goes in first on LH side)
photo 2: thinner flat washer used on same side as spring washer (goes in second on LH side)
photo 3: thick flat washer used solo on pivot shaft (goes in on RH side)
photo 4: thickness of a pair of spacers together
photo 5: spring washer used with M6 mounting bolts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Usefull information Edward. Thanks.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
parts

It really isn`t critally important where the washers go, the only thing that is critical is that the little shift rod is centered in the middle rail.
The reason the flat washer only is on the right is to prevent the shift rod from moving over during upshifts.

If you dont mind buzzing and ratteling you can set it up without the spring washer by getting the clearances very close. Not a poor idea for a race transmission.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts