Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just finished the refurbishment of my GTV6 gearbox. As usual the Gearbox didn't look shiny anymore and I did my best to wash everything as good as possible. Now I want to sandblast the gearbox and paint it with clear coat.

Has anybody ever painted the gearbox? Any paint recommendations?

Many Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You can use engine enamel paint. I used to when I wasn’t satisfied with the way my head and block came out. This the is final result and I am very happy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Given how blast media has a habit of getting deep into places you wouldn’t expect, I think I would be careful about blasting a gearbox that is already assembled. But that said, I have taken to using Brillo or SOS soaped steel wool pads for final cleaning and shine on aluminum parts. If the surface is smooth enough (can’t recall on transaxle) I follow up with a polish like Mothers.

The best way to make aluminum like new is vapor blasting but, again, not sure you would want to do that on an assembled gearbox given the heat and pressure involved.

·
Super Moderator
10,394 Posts
Given how blast media has a habit of getting deep into places you wouldn’t expect, I think I would be careful about blasting a gearbox that is already assembled.

The best way to make aluminum like new is vapor blasting but, again, not sure you would want to do that on an assembled gearbox given the heat and pressure involved.
I'm in agreement with Crackie. Prior to assembly, vapor blasting the case might be OK. I wouldn't use abrasive media even on an un-assembled case; the lore is that it can get lodged in crevices and will be flushed out by the heat and oil.

If the appearance of the gearbox really matters, then clean it using solvents & wire brushes and paint as classicalfas advises.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I agree with Richard. My concern would be that the trans doesnt leak oil and perform well. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
They were never shiny. Just a basic aluminum casting.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I would never sandblast, etc. get some engine degreaser or kerosene and a scrubby...as good as it gets..

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
ok first off pulling it apart to blast the cases is simple enough so start there

secondly do NOT CLEAR COAT with engine paint...it WILL yellow....ive never found a brand in 20+ years of clear that wont yellow under heat applications..the gearbox will get just hot enough to make it not clear but not yellow

and those wondering..the reason to coat it is so that it looks new again and STAYS that way..a coated item will not hold oil and such, will not stain etc, and will ALWAYS be easier to clean

my recomendation is to either anodize it, or powder coat, lastly would be aluminum engine paint, the next one i do will either be powder or aluminum paint

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a customer having the Cerakote process applied to his transmission case at the moment. In general, I would favor coatings that do not impact heat dissipation.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
I just purchased a Cerakote starter kit. There are Cerakote products that enhance heat dissipation.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
considering it sprays like normal auto paint, i forsee this being the be all end all for aluminum "painting"
assuming you can get your parts stain free you can clear and be done...however i have only seen a handfull of alfa aluminum parts that fit that bill, so the trick then is finding something in their line that looks like actual aluminum and not silver paint

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
They have a specific clear for aluminum. I’ll be trying it this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
its not about having a clear for aluminum but having a aluminum color so you can cover up un-removeable staining and discoloration, ive got valve covers that are very dark, and dont even match the engine, and lets face it most transaxles are nicely stained as well as the low sides of the engine block

1 - 14 of 14 Posts