Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone !!

About 25 years ago I removed the engine and gearbox (plus just about everything else) from my 1750 Roundtail.

I didn't like to rush things, so I'm now approaching the time to put the engine and box back into the car.

After so long I've forgotten how I got the lump and box out of the car - so my question is what is the best (i.e. easiest) way to get the engine and box back in?

Should I fit the engine first and then offer the box from underneath or should I try and get the box and engine in as a unit from the top.

Any tips would be very much appreciated - e.g. I vaguely remember someone suggesting that the left-hand engine mount should be fitted to the body when the engine is hovering in the engine bay - because having both fitted makes manoeuvering the engine into place fairly difficult.

Is this correct - any advice on the subject would be very much appreciated.

Steve G

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I put in the gearbox first then then the motor. some will try to put them in at the same time. but you are asking for damge on the body if you do that. just not worh the risk.
I had a jack under the gearbox to line it up. it seem to go very easy. The only thing that was hard was bolting up the headers to the down pipes.

·
Administrator
16,655 Posts
Engine & gearbox R/R'd as a unit in our '84. I did R/R the transmission only at one point so that way is also do-able.

To install as a unit, jack up the rear of the car to reduce how steep of an angle you need to manuever them in. I also removed the center tie rod for clearance. I'm not sure of the particulars of the Round Tail so if others have different (i.e. better...) advice go with what they say.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Many people move the metal pull strap on top of the engine forward, to the second head studs. When lifted the engine will tilt down at the rear.
Like putting on a loafer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully I'll try and install during the next couple of weeks.

Another question -

Is there a preferred method of attaching the engine mounts? - i.e. should I attach them to the block and lower in or should I attach them to the body and then lower the engine into position ?

I've seen photos of engine extraction/replacement with the mounts still attached and others without.

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
The engine mounts should be fastened to the engine before you lower it into the bay.

I recommend that you leave the lifting strap on the center studs for pulling or installing the engine and gearbox together. Move it forward one place for just the engine.

I will be replacing the gearbox in my spider sometime this winter. I will leave the engine in place. It is hard to get an engine/gearbox in without dinging something. How good is your paint job?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
88 Verde Anthracite
88 Verde Red

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ed,

Thanks for the guidance regarding the engine mounts.

I'll obviously be as careful as possible when installing the engine/box. I can live with a some more paint damage in the engine bay, I just don't want to damage the external paint work.

Yesterday I managed to reunite the box to the engine after initially experiencing much difficulty. After struggling for about an hour to slide the box into its correct position I decided to use some string to tie back the clutch activating lever. Once I had tied the knot the gearbox slid on at the first attempt.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Steve
This has been covered numerous times; it's a 50 - 50 split between AlfaBB members fitting engine/trans independently or as a unit.
I prefer the unit method with some of the previously mentioned tips: rear of vehicle raised, padding the tail of the trans to prevent damage. I have never bothered to remove the tie rod link; I do sometimes mount the lift strap to the forward position. My preference is to use an adjustable lift beam. It makes things so much easier when one is working solo.
No special techniques needed for Roundtails; don't forget to use a good ground/earthing connection from engine to frame.

Attached pics are a 101 Giulia Normale but the principle is the same for all ALFA's - it's all in the angle of the dangle!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
On my car I R/R the engine and trans as a unit. Tried it in two parts and had a B***ch of a time getting the tx splinealigned to the clutch, and banged every knuckle getting the top bell house bolts and the starter in place. One-piece is just easier.

I've always removed the steering cross link. Bent it once when I didn't take it out.

The other problem I have is that the stub of the tx shift lever JUST interferes with the body as the engine is angled into the car. I used to twist the engine sideways for a few inches. The easy way is to take out the two side brackets that hold the shift lever, and pull the lever stub out. easy to put back in before (from the bottom) or after (From the inside of the car) the tx cross member.

Definitely put the motor mounts on the engine first. The two bolts that hold them to the car are actually one stud on the axle cross member and one bolt. The engine drops neatly to the single stud (on each side) and locates the engine.

Radiator out, hood off. I even leave the exhaust manifold out till the engine is in.

Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts