Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am planning on rebuilding the gearbox of my 1300 junior gt (first for me) and I have a few questions on what I should replace.

There's a wuring noise when in neutral and through all gears, unless the clutch is in; so I suspect the input shaft bearing needs replacing. Should I shell out and replace all the bearings while I'm in there or are the others likely to be alright? Bearing in mind that it will be over $500 to replace them all.

There's a small oil leak from the bell housing so I'll replace the front and rear oil seals.

I figure I might as well switch the 1st gear 1 way synchro to the 2 way type from other gears. Does anyone have a donor gearbox who I could buy the necessary parts from for this?

Also there's the common crunch into 2nd gear so I'll need a 4th or 5th synchro ring for that as well.

I am planning on back cutting the 1st and 2nd gears to lighten the load on the synchro's in the future. Also the car has been converted to a 2L but I believe it has the original 1300 gearbox, should I be looking at changing 5th gear to a 2L ratio seeing as its a road car or is that too much hassle?

I think that's everything =)
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
See my post on bushings just a few below this one.

In retrospect, I replaced a lot of parts that probably really didnt need to.

Doing again, I would

1. Absolutely measure 1,2,3 gear shaft OD and bushing ID and if within about 5 thou (maybe 4) leave em alone.
2. Measure run-out of 4th gear and only replace needle bearing if needed
3. Definitely replace 5th gear needle bearing while you are in there --
4. Measure, inspect closely, and 'feel' the big bearings -- dont replace em unless you can assure yourself they are loose, pitted/worn, noisy, etc.
5. Synchro rings-- probably replace em but inspect first -- look carefully at the profile and evaluate against optimal profile
6. Gear crowns = inspect, replace if needed
7. All gears== inspect carefully, only replace if obvious bad gear teeth profile (especially reverse)
8. Seals -- prolly best to replace them, cheap enough I think

Dr Jemison on this forum has far more experience than I do and hopefully he will correct anything in here that is not advisable. Bear in mind my gearbox is a 2L box on a 2L motor and the car is not a track car, just a fun driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
By bushings I assume u mean the bronze inside bearing sleeves?
Ok I'll do 5th needle bearing; reasonably cheap anyway =)
Where did you get your parts from? I think I'd like to get some decent used synchro rings as I've read the new ones are of lesser quality. Plus I'm a broke uni student =P

Thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw just making sure I'm thinking of the right thing; not trying to sound like a smart ***.
There seems to be different names for everything and it confuses the crap outta me seeing as I've never actually been inside one of these gearboxes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts