Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of things but here are the top for now

1. Mark everything before you take stuff off the main shaft -- tripod placements and direction! 5th gear one is about 0.005" longer from tip to hub ; when I reassembled I put long end facing reverse -- not sure if its right but it works I think

2. Have a big press or Liq nitrogen/butane torch to disassemble shafts

3. Work slowly and carefully, and clean!

4. Measure all bushings and bearings, inspect for wear/runout, etc. Only replace what you need to otherwise it gets pricey quick!

5. Inspect all gear teeth (reverse) and replace gears where needed. Replace 4th and 5th needle bearings they are cheap enough.

6. Synchros-- I used the GOETZ (supposedly) rings and they look good, have GOE stamped into the rim (as if that means much) -- but they are $$

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would add; take MANY pictures of every step of disassemble. The digital camera is your friend when it comes to the repair/rebuild/restoration of any part or component on your vehicle.

Best regards,

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photos as best as I can do

here are some photos of what I found -- would like to know especially any metrology around the sleeves -- how to tell good vs too worn-- please comment!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
You have the same questions I have. All of my sliders look to have nice sharp teeth and what appears to be virtually no wear. Should be some good answers. My part transmissions have just been take them apart and put them back together, so it was pretty straight forward as the only things changed out were the synchro rings.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The gear on the right looks to have worn teeth, notice how they have been rounded off. Good to replace that one. Your synchro rings need replacing. They are worn over center and down to the base metal. Don't put it together with questionable parts only to have to take it apart again, plus the labor/time to pull it and reinstall it. It might be expensive but it is worth a lot of piece of mind, so you can sleep at night.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes, no doubt. I did replace all 5 rings, and BOTH of those crown gears- probably only the right one needed it -- AND the three rings gears were also replaced-- probably not necessary but I had no way to tell if they were too worn. I also, out of an abundance of un-necessary caution, replaced the mainshaft bearings (front and center) as well the layshaft bearings. About $1700 worth of parts. Now, in retrospect, I am sure I replaced stuff that was not really needed -- I measured out those mainshaft bearings and one has a half a thou play, the other I can't measure any play at all. So I saved em for another time. Those sliders are still good I think, would like to know other's views -- if better photos are needed or some metrology please let me know. All gear bushings and bearings replaced == 2nd really needed it, first not so much, third was on the edge. Now they all have between 2 and 2.5 thou clearance. DId the first gear fix, bought new 5th/reverse gear (old one was chewed up) and other small parts.

This was an educational process and its not back in the car yet. Trying to put it all back together by Christmas but will see how that goes....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts