Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update:

After a month waiting, I had lost hope that the 2 dog rings will ever arrive. In the mean time, I had a short business trip to the States and while there I asked the seller (against payment) to send me a second set to the hotel I was staying in. On the same day the parts arrived at the hotel, I received a tracking update on my first shipment that it has arrived at my local post office. On my return home, I picked it up and now I ended with 4 dog rings :)

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I forgot to tell you folks that I also got a bearing set, 5th fork, seal for the speedo cable and a magnetize sump plug.

All parts have arrived and assembly time will start tomorrow :)

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Great news!

I did this recently and have a couple of cautions on the bell housing seal. I read another thread on here and people cautioned about slicing the input shaft seal on the edge of the spline when you put the bell housing on. I took a wide packaging tape and put one wrap around the spline. I then smeared a couple of drops of gear oil on the tape. The seal glided over it with near zero drag and the tape came right off afterwards. Do not put tape beyond the spline because it will be obstructed by the tube covering the input shaft.

In that other thread somebody suggested filling the input shaft seal with grease to keep the spring in place. My thinking is that I would rather see what is going on so I did not do this. Sure enough, one side of the spring rode up on the inner lip of the seal but did not come completely out. I could easily flick it back down in place with a screwdriver. I would not have seen this if it had been covered with grease.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Great news!

I did this recently and have a couple of cautions on the bell housing seal. I read another thread on here and people cautioned about slicing the input shaft seal on the edge of the spline when you put the bell housing on. I took a wide packaging tape and put one wrap around the spline. I then smeared a couple of drops of gear oil on the tape. The seal glided over it with near zero drag and the tape came right off afterwards. Do not put tape beyond the spline because it will be obstructed by the tube covering the input shaft.

In that other thread somebody suggested filling the input shaft seal with grease to keep the spring in place. My thinking is that I would rather see what is going on so I did not do this. Sure enough, one side of the spring rode up on the inner lip of the seal but did not come completely out. I could easily flick it back down in place with a screwdriver. I would not have seen this if it had been covered with grease.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did not anticipate how frustrating it will get to get those 3 beans into position. But in they went, starting from the bottom all the way up to the top topped with some assembly lube.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The main assembly went in the casing for a trial fit to make sure the rods are in the right position. I had to temporary close the two half's together to flip the case upright to be able to put in the 3 ball bearings, springs and bolt in the retaining metal plate. This will hold the rods in place for measuring the fork position later.

The retaining metal plate will be removed again to put some RTV between it and the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The fork/syncro sleeve are measured and placed equidistant from the dog gears on each side and the fork bolted to the rod. The 5th fork/syncro sleeve must be 12.9mm from the face of the dog gears as shown below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Does anyone know the torque specs for the 3 bolts holding the 3 forks to the rods. I did not find these on the manual. Thanks
Use red loctite and snug up and bend the locktab over. It does not take much to snap the head off.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts