Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fully reassembling my '74 spider, the engine is completely rebuilt, the differential opened, cleaned checked and reassembled, now my dilemma is: does I should open clean and check the gearbox or it is not necessary?
Last time i drive the car the gearbox works perfectly, no noise or other issues with it, so I am tempted to open it just to clean.
What do you advice me to do? Let it as it is just new oil and drive or open it?

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Sticky`

That, and you should replace the 2nd gear syncro assembly and the slider as well. Those are problem parts.
I suggest getting two complete 4th or 5th gear assemblies from Larry at APE,or someone on the BB and simply press the old ones off and the replacements back on the gears. Use the 5th gear slider ring between 1st & 2nd and the best side of that (1&2) slider on 5th.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I have found an Alfetta Transaxle complete new gearbox, are the syncro parts intechangeble with my Spider 115 gearbox?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Parts

Maybe I have found an Alfetta Transaxle complete new gearbox, are the syncro parts intechangeble with my Spider 115 gearbox?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Other than the friction bands and slider rings, the syncronizer housings are totally different. The The inside diameter is totally different as it is larger than the 101/105/115 series parts.

You can use the friction bands (syncro bands) if your teeth on the housings are good (not rounded on the tips or with top edge burrs. However the parts you need to convert 1st gear to a bi-directional unit will not fit from the 116/119 transaxles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it worked "perfectly" why would anyone disturb what is working "perfectly" ....I'm lost to the benefit.. I believe in the saying, "let sleeping dogs lie..."
Yes my question was only if should I open it to clean from old oil sludges.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
If it's working perfectly and not leaking fluid, then just flash it with diesel or special cleaner. I'd flush fluid again after driving it for a while, so all the cleaner/solvents get flushed out... or do as Richard says!

That, and you should replace the 2nd gear syncro assembly and the slider as well. Those are problem parts.
I suggest getting two complete 4th or 5th gear assemblies from Larry at APE,or someone on the BB and simply press the old ones off and the replacements back on the gears. Use the 5th gear slider ring between 1st & 2nd and the best side of that (1&2) slider on 5th.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
There is no provision in the service manual to conduct this sort of purge other than change the oil every 5000 miles. Technically, I think it is fine to extend that interval with synthetics as they prescribe. As I understand it, flushing a manual gear box does not fall under the same category as an automatic one which has coolers, hoses and valves that might benefit from it. There are as many arguments to do it (automatic) as not. Just leave it alone, is my advice.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I would open the box for several reasons, 1 to install new shaft seals and speedo seal 2 to inspect the gear sets and synchros, 3 to reseal the case. When you are that far down it is much easier to do the work now. Good luck

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
AlfaR7 is exactly correct on the parts swapping from Alfetta/GTV6 parts to 105/115 Spider/GTV/Berlina boxes. There are so many differences between the gear work and parts. The Syncronizer rings and Syncronizer sleeves are perhaps the only items that can be interchanged. The ring retainer clips - those great big famous circlips won't even interchange. 105/115 circlips are a "101" parts -probably left over from guilia days. The Alfetta parts are "116" parts. Different diameter. There may be a few bearings that might swap.

I'd flush the box out and refill it with the correct Shell lubricant, then reinstall it. You can rebuild it latter or pick up an extra box somewhere if you decide to keep your car forever like so many of us. Love Alfa Romeo!

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
The most important thing is to get you driving your Alfa as soon as practical. Having been restoring my GTV for half my life and now it is waiting again, put the gearbox back in after a clean and if it needs attention later, they are easy to get out :)

Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts