Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an '84 Spider with a 5 speed. I have two problems that may be related.

When the stick is in any gear, the lever can be move left and right significantly.

When in reverse it jumps out of gear.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Larry
VA USA

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The stick moving back and forth while in gear is the bolt securing the shift lever to the trans is loose. A very simple repair (once the console and boots are removed).
Jumping out of reverse can be caused by many things; shift lever hitting shift boot, engine mounts, trans mount, worn reverse gear fork, etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Sounds pretty easy considering it can be attacked from the top. The console would need to come out any how to take care of a number of items.

The engine is running rough and seems to move around a bit. I checked the motor mounts visually and they appeared to be in-tack. I didn't check the transmission mounts.

Larry

·
Registered
53 Posts
the transmission mount seems to be a very weak bushing which if worn could cause the engine shake. that one can be kinda tuff to change if you don't have some good tools and/or thoughtfull ideas for removal.
i had a problem with my shifter popping out of third because the stick was hitting the center counsel, just needed some minor adjustments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts