Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my gearbox oil for the first time. I used Red Line 75W90NS, per the suggestions on the board.

After I put everything back together, I was thinking about the drain and fill plugs. The gearbox had a magnetic plug for the fill plug and a regular (non-magnetic) plug on the drain. Is that right, or did someone switch them at some point in the past?

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's what I figured. Just wish I'd figured it before refilling the gearbox.

Thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Park on the side of hill left side up right side down, then jack the car up more yet on the left side to get it tipped far enough to keep most of the oil away from the drain plug :)

yeah, you don't really want to try that, but it sounds like it would be fun just the same, doesn't it?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
with all the sloshing around inthe gearbox and all, I guess metalic particulates- actually being soooooo fine- will. believe it or not, end up at that upper plug. It doesnt have to be at the bottom, Im just guessing here, but geez, seems logical.

Ive cleaned those plugs a few times. That metal is really so fine- it almost stays in suspension, I imaginmne until the megnetism up or down- attracts it and keeps it there.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
all just got the 86 spider quad running and have been enjoying her ..pulled her in her home checked on her an hour or so later and noticed a small puddle on the floor 10cc at most of clear with a greenish tint on roughly the fwd passenger side around i would say behind the firewall. Gear oil...how to check level ? cause ? .
thanks
chris

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Not gear oil, coolant.
Based on location, I'd hazard the heater core return line is prolly the problem.

Gear oil looks like crude.
Dark, stinky, slightly viscous.
To check it, you get the car up off the ground and level, remove the fill plug and stick your finger in to see if the level is within 1/2" or so of the bottom of the fill plug hole.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yeah, there's no mistaking the smell of gear oil from engine oil. I believe it's the abundance of sulfur in the oil...serves as a friction modifier??

·
Registered
what part?
10,522 Posts
to make it easyer.. fill the tranny from the shifttower.. yes you must undue a few thinks but way faster, and easyer...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts