Alfa Romeo Forums banner
81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I guess the moral of the story is, if welding is no good and cutting a circlip groove is too difficult to accomplish (especially if there isn't room), would be don't do what I did and ignore the whine from the tranny :eek: Stop driving it if it sounds like a "rally car" and fix it before she blows!:eek: I know I had ample warning, I don't know what others experienced before theirs went.
Charles

·
Registered
91 Posts
there is no room for a circlip.
Latest idea is tack welding the chrysler bracket on to two bolts, not the diff cage itself, and not welding the pinion shaft or the roll pins that hold the pinion shaft in place.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
No whine, just a kaboom and that was it.
Same with me - I think that means that ours just worked their way out as we drove (roll pin out).

As for charles - maybe yours was whining because it was breaking apart or maybe could have been cracked, causing that whine. Then, it either broke or fell out causing the rest of the damage.

My guess is there would be no warning for the pin coming out completely (roll pin out) but that there may be a warning if the pin is cracked and about to either break or fall out.

ANDDD lets not forget the idea from the Fiat post of adding setscrews. That is very doable, no?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The small bracket is chrysler Part 04800058, off a Neon. Cost is about $6 a pair.

Roll pin discussion- My roll pin is still in the pinion shaft but the ends are broken off. No migration out of the shaft.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
What should I do with the 164S 5 speed I'll be putting in with a rebuilt engine. The transmission has about 90,000. Should I replace the shaft with a new one (if available) and replace the roll pin with a set screw and loctite?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Richard,
I'm going to have the small brackets tack welded on to the foot of the bolts. If the roll pins disintegrate, at least the shaft will stay in place.
David

·
Registered
91 Posts
Change in plans. Just got back from the welder's shop. He didn't want to weld the bracket on as the bolts are grade 12. He said he would have to use the TIG and heat up the bolt quite a bit. A MIG weld wouldn't hold. He advised against welding the bracket and and convinced me that he has good reasons.

My next and last step is to call the dealer and see if there was an upgrade on the stock roll pin.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Sounds like we are stuck with the stock setup. Next we'll find out the diff pin and the roll pin are NLA from Alfa. :rolleyes:
Charles

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
How about the wicking Loctite Green? It's for application to pre-assembled threaded fasteners and used on flywheel bolts (also not wanted to move after assembly).

Or staking the hole to retain the pin?

Michael

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
How about the wicking Loctite Green? It's for application to pre-assembled threaded fasteners and used on flywheel bolts (also not wanted to move after assembly).

Or staking the hole to retain the pin?

Michael
Those both sound good. Hmmmmm.

I wish I had the gearbox TO TRY IT. If anyone talks to Lenard (164family), would they consider giving him some encouragement to send me the gearbox I bought from him two weeks ago please :rolleyes:? He's a hard man to get ahold of

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

I wish I had the gearbox TO TRY IT. If anyone talks to Lenard (164family), would they consider giving him some encouragement to send me the gearbox I bought from him two weeks ago please :rolleyes:? He's a hard man to get ahold of
WHO? Lenard he is a busy man and cash talks. $250 is a good deal for a five speed 164 trans. I can send the $250 back to you if you would like.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts

Slow down there, cowboy. Shipping a transmission is a pretty tough job. This isn't office depot or one of those mainstream companies that will ship the next day. Paying the shipping charges might also encourage him too instead of paying later...;)

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
$250?!! Send me one too! :D The one that exploded on me I paid $600 for and lasted less than a year. Must have been abused before I got a hold of it.
Charles

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
WHO? Lenard he is a busy man and cash talks. $250 is a good deal for a five speed 164 trans. I can send the $250 back to you if you would like.
Lenard, we spoke last night.
You have cash, and it is the amount we agreed upon. I appreciate your efforts and I have expressed my gratitude whenever we speak.
Our discussions yesterday concluded that it was the freight carrier, not you, who is holding up the shipment. Prior to our chat last night, I knew only that the trans was on the pallet more than a week ago ready to ship, not that a carrier was giving you a hard time each visit. I've expressed the importance of urgency in this deal due to my return to school, and you've acknowledged that. I thank you again, and we are supposed to chat today about going UPS rather than through the moody freight pickup.

Slow down there, cowboy. Shipping a transmission is a pretty tough job. This isn't office depot or one of those mainstream companies that will ship the next day. Paying the shipping charges might also encourage him too instead of paying later...;)
Sean - I realize shipping something this large isn't easy. But, as I said earlier, I knew only that the trans was ready to ship over a week ago and was ready to be picked up, and that I spoke with Lenard only once before last night. Apparently you've been informed about the payment schedule - but because Lenard is the one who suggested payment for shipping after it was shipped (maybe due to recent transport/fuel price flux?), I am doing as such. If he asks for the shipping money now, I'll give it now. I would have done so either way (payment prior/post shipment), but have not been given a price for the freight.

That being said, I don't want to start any arguments, nor am I trying to.
For me, it's very important to get my Alfa back on the road. Others have helped me with this and continue to do so, and I am grateful. It's hard to own an Alfa in college, and my current financial situation limits me on repairs and maintenance. Graciously, Lenard has empathized with that situation, and has alleviated some of the would-be financial burden of obtaining a [good] gearbox.

I guess the bottom line is this: I'm a little over-excited to get my Alfa back on the road. :D

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Lenard,

Not to butt in but just throw it in a box and send it.
You should double up an box, put a trash bag around it, throw some other cardboard in there to hold it in place and call UPS to pick it up.

Use the tape I sent you (LOL) and place the transmission down in the box. Using some extra cardboard to cushion the bottom is advisable. Package weights about 85lbs in a box.

This way is much easier and faster than pallets.

I just shipped a S tranny in a box to San Jose with no issues.

Just trying to help.

I understand owning an alfa in college, it is hard.

Jason

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I actually just had one shipped UPS. I think the slip said 105 lbs? Can't have too many spare 164 trannies.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Where the hell do you get good reinforced strapping tape any way? All I ever find is clear packaging tape, duct tape, masking tape, electrical tape, etc. I think I'd have better luck find some 8-track tape!
I use Boxes, Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Cardboard Boxes - ULINE for all my supplies.

Uline Industrial Tape - Heavy Duty - Uline
They have all grades of tape, more you buy the more you save. I usually have to buy 2-3 boxes of 25 rolls, usually around $95 per box. But you can buy 1,2,3... rolls if you want. I use the heavy strength stuff. All there tape is made in Canada when you buy the good stuff, not China (which is junk BTW).

Clear tape is no good for packaging usually, just good for covering labels.

Jason

81 - 100 of 150 Posts