Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Alfa did make many changes in these cases, as well as the internals, in order to increase the stiffness/strength.
Have these changes been documented anywhere? i.e. Nature of the changes, approximate dates, and identifiers? The only one I had been aware of was the input bearing upgrade, which I think occurred roughly going into model year 1992. I realize many of the earlier boxes were updated with this change, but you pretty much need to open it up to see if it's got "Intel inside". :D

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
You have to trace your way through the parts eper disc for 91-95, checking effectivities and the applicable models. In the parts descriptions they note why the changes were made, such as increased stiffening, etc.

I did this once but I don't know where I left my notes. If I find them, I'll report.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
GEARBOX IS OUT.

Brought the 'box out through the LF wheel well.

Removed wheels, fender liners, halfshafts at gearbox/intermediate shaft, removed intermediate shaft flange, LF strut, removed entire hub from A arm (ball joint trashed anyways and gives lots more room), caliper, starter, airbox, cruise bracket.......adds up eh?

All the bellhousing bolts came out pretty easily, and the gearbox wasn't hung up on the input shaft whatsoever. After wrestling it out, I saw very quickly the housing was damaged far more extensively than I would have imagined. On a side note - the whole transaxle was a lot lighter than I expected.

Pictures to come.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looking forward to your pictures. How many hours did it take to you pull the transaxle? Do you have a lift or was this on jackstands? Looks like I'll be following your footsteps soon.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looking forward to your pictures. How many hours did it take to you pull the transaxle? Do you have a lift or was this on jackstands? Looks like I'll be following your footsteps soon.
I had the front of the car on jackstands, and rolled under whenever I needed to. Make sure you drain the 'box before taking it out!

How many hours? Probably about 4-5 hours of actual work - it was much easier than I expected and didn't get hung up on any one thing for very long. I should mention, however, that I didn't have to deal with the top starter bolt because the last time the clutch was replaced, someone cleverly added a little clip and locating pin rather than a bolt. This in combination with air-powered impact wrenches made for a relatively quick removal.

Wrestling the thing out isn't really a one-man-job I found, but can be done. Also - if you're going to be doing this soon, it's a great time to replace some of the hard to reach bushings (A-arms, and center sways, and don't forget the shift reaction and fork bushings) while there is more room. I think I might powerwash some of the crap out of the engine bay also...

Pictures - I'm not used to my new mac, and all the file sizes are WAY too big for the forum. Any ideas here? I don't think the macbook comes with a software to resize pictures.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Pictures - I'm not used to my new mac, and all the file sizes are WAY too big for the forum. Any ideas here? I don't think the macbook comes with a software to resize pictures.
I'm finding that many of the newer forum applications have a provision for automatically down-sizing larger pics. I'm not certain, but I think that's the case here, especailly with this one having been very recently updated.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
God to: Resize Photos - Free Online Photo and Image Resizing - Resize Digital Photos

I use a mac too and it works well to reduce photo's.
browse and then reduce it to any size you like.

or you can use Frappr Maps to host the pictures to be able to post pictures on your thread.

Jason

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Yes it does. Several ways on a Mac to reduce the file size of an image using the software that comes with your machine. I always use Photoshop, but these Apple apps can do a lot for free. You can use the application called "Preview" you can crop your image. Simply click on the image and the crosshairs come up, click and drag, now go under "tools" and select "crop." Very easy, now do a "save as" and select jpeg (or whatever other file format you want) and use the slider to reduce the file size, also very easy to use. "iPhoto" is another Apple app that can do image manipulation, brightness and contrast, and a very cool and easy red eye fix that works very well. to reduce a file size in iPhoto, double click an image in the organize window that has all the thumbnails, when the image comes up as a single image you will see in the lower left "Constrain" in that dropdown menu is a list of file sizes. Also iPhoto will crop and image using the crop tool, very easy. Macs are made for design and images, right out of the box. Always use iPhoto to import images from your digital cam and not your camera's software, works much better than anything else out there. IMO.
Charles

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
Here's the damage - Charles you thought your bellhousing was bad? This should give you a laugh (or chill?). The amount of shrapnel inside the bellhousing is really incredible, you can even see the end of the broken dipstick at the bottom!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Wow, yeah, you win! I had quite a few bits of shrapnel that I cleaned up before the pic, heard several going in different directions as it happened as well. It wasn't cool. I still don't know what to do with my old tranny sitting in the garage taking up space.
Charles

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
care to elaborate? :eek: Any tricks or special tools?
thanks
David
Sure - Like I had mentioned before, the top bolt had been cleverly replaced with a locating pin and clip rather than a bolt, so if you're looking for the magic for this bolt, sorry to disappoint!
But as for the middle and bottom bolt, I just used a (13mm?) socket (6 point!! The last thing you want is a rounded off starter bolt) and an appropriate extension. The middle one I needed to push on the starter heat shield slightly with a small prybar to give myself some more room.
Once I broken the bolts free, it was much quicker to hold the socket in my hand and turn it rather than going a couple clicks at a time with the socket on a ratchet. It's pretty tight in there, and it wasn't comfortable but it was relatively short lived.

Oh - and the most important part - I was wearing an alfa shirt, and became completely covered in the dripping gear oil as I was rolling underneath the car :eek:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
wow I can't wait to experience the joy myself. Do you have a photo of the locating pin and clip? Might be a nice mod
I'll have to take one when I re-locate some of the parts I removed :rolleyes:
They are all bagged in a cardboard box in the trunk and I'm leaving town in about ohhhhhh 5 hours? When I get back I'll put it on the list.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
What does this? Is it rocks in the bell housing? Loose ball bearings from a failed input shaft bearing? Pieces of friction material from a failed clutch friction disc?

Michael

21 - 40 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.