Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a diff explode on my last 164Q... happened post accident I was taking it for one last drive, very spirited last drive, and during a hard pull in 1st gear the diff exploded causing the car to not move in any gear. I plan on buying a Q2 diff for the current 164 mostly to avoid the problems the gear set pins have on the stock diffs. Its a lot of money for one but I feel its worth it because replacing a transmission will be a lot more. if one does blow is it possible to get a new diff cover and install a new diff? or does it depend on the extent of the damage?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Michael, my understanding is the diff can be removed without having to remove the rest of the gears.

George, my first diff blew in 1st gear too, just as was hitting peak power.
Today put mineral oil back in the box, junking the synthetic oil in it. Trying to organise the Quaife (Q2 requires ring-gear mod, Quaife does not). Costs about £800 plus fitting/bearings/shims... Not a cheap job by any means...
Didn’t know about the quaife diff I’ll have to look into that. Is it as robust as the Q2? Most of the reason I want the Q2 if for reliability more than performance although from what I’ve been told it does completely change the handling of the car for the better.
And yes first gear makes sense because there’s a ton of torque going into it. One of my coworkers friends had a 164 as his first car about 15 years ago and he said the end of his car was also the diff while doing a burnout. I think it’s fair to say these diffs don’t hold up well to abuse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts