Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else install a gear reduction starter? They sound like a helicopter starting.....

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
I put one on my '76 Spider. Much easier to install, no need for the front support bracket, weighs less, and the car cranks faster. What's not to like?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All true but wasn't my point at all.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I don't know what a helicopter sounds like when starting up...? It must take a long time if the starter has to spin up those long rotors. Or is is quicker?

Mark

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That high pitched gear whine.....

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I just put one on from Performatek made in England by Wosperformance..Sounds effortless and actually spins the motor rather than the tired OEM I had that sounded like... ahhh--------------ahhh-------" please don't try to start me!" and the engine had molasses in it. I'd never go back.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
If you have a high compression motor, the gear reduction unit works much better than an old Bosch unit. Mine does not sound like a helicopter at all !

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
You got the wrong one for your flywheel. The position of the drive gear on the mounting nose is in a different place depending on ring gear tooth count.
It will eat up the teeth....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Richard, I will check that out. I believe I ordered it from Centerline...

·
Registered
119 Posts
After 26 years in the USN and serving on 5 ships with embarked helicopters (SH-2Fs and SH-60Bs) I know well what a helicopter sounds like when it starts up. That as background, my Performatek gear reduction starter in no way sounds like that. As I've mentioned before on similar starter threads, putting the gear reduction starter in was easily one of the top 3 improvements I've made to my '73 in the 46+ years I've owned it.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too, spent much time on carriers and much time in LAMPS helicopters. I did some research and reduction gear starters with straight cut gears have a distinctive whine. I took the inspection plate off and inspected the ring gear, I see no signs of any damage. It does not sound like grinding for sure, just a whine. Engages, disengages, and starts fine. I will keep an eye ( or should I say ear) on it and inspect the flywheel regularly until I determine whether there is truly an issue....

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
I too am a fan of gear reduction starters. Alfa started fitting them to all Spiders in 1986 so they have been around for 34 years. My Bosch GR starter does not make a distinctive sound.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
I too, spent much time on carriers and much time in LAMPS helicopters. I did some research and reduction gear starters with straight cut gears have a distinctive whine. I took the inspection plate off and inspected the ring gear, I see no signs of any damage. It does not sound like grinding for sure, just a whine. Engages, disengages, and starts fine. I will keep an eye ( or should I say ear) on it and inspect the flywheel regularly until I determine whether there is truly an issue....
To inspect the ring gear. You will need to rotate it while looking at it.

Being a 4 cylinder engine. The ring gear gets mainly worn in 2 places.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts