Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I recently drained and refilled the gear box, but after tightening the drain plug beyond what i was comfortable with, it still leaks - drip, drip, drip.
I did reuse the copper washer, only because i could not locate new ones from any of the well known parts suppliers.

Any suggestions?

thx, scott

'89 Alfa grad
'98 Ford Contour SVT
'02 Mercury Mountaineer

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I wouldn't call the rough cast surface that the copper washer is expected to seal against as having small irregularities. A copper washer should seal against a smooth machined surface.

It's too bad the engineers at Alfa didn't pay attention to the details when designing the transmission case. A simple machining step to to give the drain plug a clean surface to seal upon or a simple counter bore around the opening to provide for an O-ring would have been all it would take. The next time my trans is out the case is going to the machine shop to do what Alfa should have done years ago.

What I do now is put a small bead of silicone sealer in the cervace between fillet of the drain plug and the ID of the copper washer to seal up the drain & fill plugs. Perhaps an O-ring would also work or possibly a washer that has a built in sealing ring in the ID of the washer.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Mine weeps too and like you said I wouldn't dare tighten it anymore either.............IMO it normal and nothing to worry about past getting a new copper washer.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Mine weeps too and like you said I wouldn't dare tighten it anymore either.............IMO it normal and nothing to worry about past getting a new copper washer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used a new aluminum washer when I drained and refilled my transmission and differential cases with no leakage upon tightening to torque spec. I used synthetic lube when refilling as well.

Gary Knox
West Chester, PA
'91 SV, 19.8 K miles

·
Registered
460 Posts
I used a new aluminum washer when I drained and refilled my transmission and differential cases with no leakage upon tightening to torque spec. I used synthetic lube when refilling as well.

Speaking of lube. I'm about to change the gearbox lube. I just changed the diff with valvoline 75-90 synt. reading the specs on this oil it seems like it will also work on the gearbox too. Yes I know that spirax HD 80-90 (I have this in now) is the preferred oil for the trans but shifting the trans is really awfyll in this cold weather. I'm thinking that the "75" will give me bettere cold weather shifting. Thoughts?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tony, Thats one heck of a nice Flounder in your avitar!!! (or is that a small Halibut? :p).
It's a flouder. cought by my son (who's holding it in the picture), off a party boat out of Belmar, NJ. I'm sorry to say that I did not enter him the pool - that was the biggest cought that day. He would have won him $500. Speaking of oil, it was breaded and fried with mazola vegetable oil. it was delicious.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Speaking of lube. I'm about to change the gearbox lube. I just changed the diff with valvoline 75-90 synt. reading the specs on this oil it seems like it will also work on the gearbox too. Yes I know that spirax HD 80-90 (I have this in now) is the preferred oil for the trans but shifting the trans is really awfyll in this cold weather. I'm thinking that the "75" will give me bettere cold weather shifting. Thoughts?
The gearbox and differential do use the same lubricant. This is stipulated in the Alfa literature. If you search the BB, you will notice that there is a preference for either Shell Spirax 80W/90 (one of the choices stipulated in the Alfa literature) or the synthetic Redline 75W/90 NS. Since the Redline seems to be the synthetic of choice, and it is also a "75", I don't see how you could go wrong... However, you may want to search and see if there are opinions of Valvoline vs. Redline, as there are a lot threads on this subject.

Best regards,

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks Enrique. I haven't seen Valvoline 75-90 mentioned here for the tranny. I have no particular allegiance to Valvoline or Redline. Just that I can get Valvoline easier at my NAPA. If I don't get any negative feedback about the Valvoline I'll change it this week end. I was wondering what Alfa used at the factory. As you might know I owned an 86 new from the factory and drove it year aroung in NJ. never really had a problem.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I would not use the Valvoline 75-90 in an Alfa gearbox. Not because it's Valvoline but because it's a hypoid gear oil with EP (Extreme Pressure) additives. These additives make the oil too slippery for the syncros to work properly. There are numerous threads on what oil works well with a preference, I think, toward the Redline (although I don't know which kind since I've always used straight 50 weight engine oil in an Alfa gearbox).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Thanks Enrique. I haven't seen Valvoline 75-90 mentioned here for the tranny. I have no particular allegiance to Valvoline or Redline. Just that I can get Valvoline easier at my NAPA. If I don't get any negative feedback about the Valvoline I'll change it this week end. I was wondering what Alfa used at the factory. As you might know I owned an 86 new from the factory and drove it year aroung in NJ. never really had a problem.
Tony,
My post is not accurate, as papajam indicated... In focusing on the "75" that you were asking about, I didn't even think of the "NS" (non slip) which is the most important factor when using synthetics... The synthetic Redline 75W/90 NS that I quoted is correct for the gearbox, but for the differential it is 75W/90 only, no "NS"... So your synthetic Valvoline choice is fine for the differential, but you'll need a "non slip" for the gearbox...

Best regards,

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm going with redline 75-90. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Going back to the original question of washers. Do you have to use a metal washer?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good question Tony - a rubber washer would seal better, but I assume there might be heat concerns? Anyone know?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A rubber washer used in that type of location/fitment would be crushed and squished out from under the nut in part or in whole making for a leak and potentially the loss of the plug after the rubber displaced. (as it wouldn't be actually tightened against anything, it can walk out due to vibration)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts