Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I finished disassembling the transmission of my spider S4 and it's time to decide what parts to replace.

In particular, the 5th gear shows a nick that seems to be caused by a foreign object - I couldn't find the offender though.

Before opening the transmission the gear didn't give any particular trouble and it wasn't noisy, at least I never noticed it.

Do you think this gear should be replaced? The problem is, it's not the only one having this problem...

Thanks!
Ciao,
Enrico

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
The person to give you a positive answer (and he probably has the gear) is Alfar7 here on the BB. The question is, what does the mating gear look like?

·
Richard Jemison
7,775 Posts
Gear ding

If the majority of the gear tooth in question is smooth and there is no "raised" surface ridge I would not be overly concerned.
Rj

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Gordon Raymond and AlfaR7,

thanks for your feedback.

I'll inspect more closely the layshaft gears and the other output shaft gears and post my findings.

Thanks again,
Enrico

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I didn't have time to go to the garage in these days as everything and more happened! So I still don't have the pictures of the layshaft gears as well as the other gears to show.

I'm not sure if the mark looks like it was done with a grinder. This is a good question, I read that sometimes at the factory they grind the gears to get rid of some defects but I really don't know if this applies here. Maybe somebody more experienced with Alfa gears can add his feedback.

Thanks.
Ciao,
Enrico

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Layshaft 5th gear ding

Hi,

I inspected the layshaft 5th gear and found another ding. I don't think it's the twin of the output 5th gear ding shown above because they seem to be on the opposite side of the gear.

The other gears solid with the shaft don't have any mark, fortunately.

I look forward to your opinion on what to do with these gears.

Thanks.
Ciao,
Enrico

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
A chip. Clutchless shifting. Grinding gears. Whatever. Possibly the errant chip caused the other dent? This is another one not to worry about. Check with Alfar7. MAYBE he will agree with me!

·
Registered
738 Posts
They look like recent grinding marks, someone has been in there before you. Maybe the butler did it? its very recent.
Put it together it will be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts