Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My new Alfa 90 has a great box. Shifting nicely and no crunching (touch wood). I hear though that they are a potential weak spot on Alfas.

How then do I preserve the box. An Alfa person I know suggested that a good habit to get into is to select first gear by going into second then up to one. Something about preserving synchros!! That right?

Also would I benefit from regular transaxle oil changing? If so:

- what intervals
- do I use 75/90 Grade Gear Oil @ 2.3litres
- Is it advisable to use synthetic or mineral (my Pug 405 Mi16 for instance hates Synthetic gear oil - does the same apply to Alfas)
- I have used a product called Lucas Oil Stabilser in the Pug with some great results. Anybody tried this additive on an Alfa?
- is it hard to change the transaxle oil on an Alfa yourself.

Your advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Search

Type 'dextron' in the search box at the top of the page. There is a ton of info for the newer models on the Board, including, but not limited to, draining/filling faster, types of oils and when to change it. Like I said, I just typed 'dextron', and voila!:D

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
- I have used a product called Lucas Oil Stabilser in the Pug with some great results. Anybody tried this additive on an Alfa?
I'd classify that stuff with all the other "snake" oils and additives out there. Isn't that stuff "like glue" and about SAE 150? I used one Lucas product ( 2 bottles) in a power steering unit that was leaking and it didn't stop the leak "like they said it would." Maybe if your box is ready anyway for rebuild and you "want to try something" I'd use it - otherwise, you don't need it IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts