Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 38 hard years, it may be time to refurbish the 5 panel gauges on my 69SV, They are speedo, tach, oil press, water temp and fuel level. They do seem to be working fine. White paint on needles is flaking, the bezels are down to near brass on two and some pitting on the others. Of course they are fogged also (earlier thread).

Has anybody had any experience sending them out for a service? What does it entail and what does it cost? Who have you used with success. I note the AROC N/L lists a place that I've seen forever. Appreciate your guidance if you've been here. Thanks,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
I have used North Hollywood Speedometer, located in N. Hollywood, Ca., on two occasions, and was pleased both times. They are fairly easy to find using Google. They charged me $410 to rebuild and restore the 4 gauges for my 105 Giulia Sprint GT 2-1/2 years ago. Actually, it was more like 6 gauges, as the two smaller housings contain a pair of gauges (e.g., gas & oil press in one gauge, water temp & oil temp in another).

N. Hollywood needed to re-make the plastic gauge faces for my two smaller gauges, since the original faces had turned yellow. This certainly adds some $$ to the job.

More recently, I had them re-bush the tachometer for my 101 Giulia spider - no cosmetic work, just fix the howling. That job was kind of pricey: $200+ as I recall - so perhaps their prices have gone up.

Plan on the work taking at least a couple of months. But, they do seem organized, and I was pleased witht he quality of the work.

I have never used their cross-state competitor, Palo Alto Speedometer. My sense is that their work is of similar quality, turn-around is probably longer, and I have no idea how their price compares. Neither are cheap!

Good Luck!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Called Palo Alto (they advertise in the AROC N/L after all and have forever). Pricey yes, ca. $600 for the set including chroming the surround. Working gauges just tired. They say turnaround for 5 is 3-4 weeks. Ought to be over my holiday fun and hangovers by then and ready for re-installaiton. Will be driving blind in the meantime. Thanks, BGB

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Is this Palo Alto Speedometer shop - Emerson St in Palo Alto CA? If so, it has been taking care of Nor Cal and other Alfas almost forever. They did a super recalibrate job on my Duetto back in 1969 after a broken cable messed things up. The area had a pretty good group of Alfisti including racers back then. I am amazed they are still serving us so well!

Robert

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
I did it myself. You can carefully get the chrome surround off, and have it replated. The glass comes off easily when the surround is off so you can clean it

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There are four distinct components to this operation that I surmise. Three with a stretch could be done by the novice with some risks; one best left to a professional?

1. Carefully and successfully getting the chrome bezel off and then back on - dicey to me without proper tooling or knowhow. PAS has proper tooling, not just klugy prying and peening.
2. Cleaning the glass and having the bezel re-chromed - easy
3. Painting the flaking paint on the needle - questionable
3. Cleaning and oiling, and possibly repairing and adjusting the mechanism (40 years old) - should probably be done by a professional.

I could certainly shade-tree the operation but I think I'll send them in, with a big wad of beer money . . . . She deserves it at her 40th birthday.

Note: Sent in to PAS. Will show "After" photos upon return.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, Job Done!!

I said I'd post a final "completed" photos so here they are. Palo Alto did a really nice job. New chrome rings for the speedo and tach and re-chromed the 3 smaller gauge bezel rings. These were getting down to the brass substrate. They polished up well and I had a spare that was better than one. Now on the heater box (out) and other interior jobs. Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey, those look great! Very nice work they did. Being on a budget somewhat less than that, and also in mid-restoration of the whole car, I took my gauges apart myself. I didn't need any needle repainting so I carefully pried off the chrome bezel from the back side. It takes patience. Cost me $15 to get the chrome re-done per large agauge and about 2 hours total prying bezels off and putting them on. A perfect job? Looks like it unless you remove the gauges and look at the back. Still, if I had the budget I'd have sent them to Palo Alto.

Very very nice.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, it was a bit pricey but I've had the car for 32 years and maintenance has really been reasonable overall, so I anted up. There's a lot of spend right now with some resto after some age and benign neglect, but again, over a long time, it's a reasonable cost. Hope I can get it back out the next 32 years . . .

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah I'd say you got a good long use out of 'em. Here's to another 32!

Karl

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
looks great!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts