Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My gas gauge instrument lamp was out, so at night it was hard to tell how much gas I had. I had read up on replacing the bulb through the radio slot, or through the vents, but a lot of people seemed to think it was possible, but had not actually done it. So I did and here is a wee tutorial. My radio is after market and look a bit difficult to remove so I thought I would go the vent route and this turned out to be very easy.

First I pulled the directional cover out of the dash.

Step1a.jpg

Then I pulled the hard plastic end piece up and forward
Step1b.jpg

You then peel the rubber vent tube from the plastic end piece,and you can let it drop back into the dash, out of the way.
Step1c.jpg

As you can see you now have pretty good access to the back of the gauges. This is the fuel gauge, and the bulb holder with the white wires is for the "Low Fuel Warning" light on the gauge. The bulb holders with the yellow wires are the gauge illumination lamps/bulbs
Step2a.jpg
Next you can pull the bulb holders out of the back of the gauge, by twisting and pulling back on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gauge bulb/lamp replacement Part 2

As to the type of bulbs I used 194 LL (Long lasting), but the std 194s would do.

Step2c.jpg

The illumination looks about the same as the other existing gauges
Step2d.jpg

just follow the reverse procedure to put her all back together.

·
Registered
what part?
10,497 Posts
why order a honda insight.,look at our ford fusion hybrid..much , much better car..handles like a sports car, can drive longer and faster on the electirc motor then the allmighty honda..

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but

why order a honda insight.,look at our ford fusion hybrid..much , much better car..handles like a sports car, can drive longer and faster on the electirc motor then the allmighty honda..
I work for Honda (IT Department) :D

·
Registered
what part?
10,497 Posts
...ford..first on race day:D:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
...ford..first on race day:D:D
My own experience... ford = found on road dead

Thanks so much for posting a novel way to access the gauge lights (this belongs in the sticky on the first page); I've been contemplating pulling the dash to get at them.
-Dave

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfas

Heh Heh. At least we all agree on Alfas:D and even on the model:D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
fog

Noticed that the Gauge was foggy tonight, common problem, but the fuel gauge, (I guess because of the lack of a working bulb for a while) seems to be foggier than the rest. I'll see how it goes before doing anything, because its been humid here.

I may experimnet with a hair dryer, and pull the bulbs, heat the front of the gauges and put the bulbs back in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gauges in dash

Hi Gadwhite

I'm thinking of mounting gauges in the vents just as you have. Can I ask you how you mounted them? What plastic did you use?
Many thanks

Simon

·
Registered
43 Posts
These comments are very encouraging and have lead me to this question. Now that I understand how it can be removed, how do I test my fuel gauge? If I need a new unit, whom do you recommend? I have an 85 Graduate and the gauge does not work. Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts

·
Administrator
17,617 Posts
First thing I'd suggest is to check the connections at the sender. You'll need to move the trunk carpet aside (it is glued along the top of the left edge under the weatherstrip so just fold it over the left rear fender). There might be a black plastic cover over a hole in the trunk floor - if so remove that. You can then see the top of the fuel outlet and the wire attachments. Some info here: sender wiring

If everything is connected properly but it still does not work then we'll have to figure out if the sender or the gauge is faulty.

For useful used parts try calling Alfa Parts Exchange.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As to the type of bulbs I used 194 LL (Long lasting), but the std 194s would do.

View attachment 150549

The illumination looks about the same as the other existing gauges
View attachment 150550

just follow the reverse procedure to put her all back together.
Hello - Just read your thread on replacing the gauge bulb on a Spider. Looks easy enough. Where did you get the replacement bulbs. I am also located on HB down by Edison HS - Hamilton & Magnolia.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bulbs

Ed
Got the bulbs from Pep boys over on Brookhurst. Bought them a while ago they are type 194's. Picture here

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
loaction

PS. Im over on Newland and Adams

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cars and Coffee

Nice!!!! We need to meet up! Do you ever go to Cars and Coffee in Irvine on Saturday mornings??
Yep, but havn't been in a while. Do you ever go over to Donut Derelicts, on Saturdays ( Adams and Magnolia)?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts