Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2l Euro intake manifold with a drop in thermostat. This is not the original engine in my Giulia Nuova Super 1300.

Can anyone provide a Gates PN for a replacement? There seem to be several listed in the Gates catalogue with slightly different specs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That PN looks like the correct dimensions, but I'm seeing Gates parts reference listings for a 33008 that's a reverse poppet design. I don't understand the implications in this application. Is the original fitment reverse poppet?

Thanks for your help on this.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Not sure if the original was a reverse poppet or not (don't think it matters) but the key question I failed to ask previously is does your engine have the bypass restrictor in the thermostat bypass hose? If the restrictor is there, and it works, then use 33008. If it's not there, use 33208.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have a bypass restrictor in the hose.

This whole thing started a week or two ago when I noticed the car was not reaching full temp. It's been much colder than normal here, and I concluded that the thermostat must be stuck open. The thermostat in the car is a RobertShaw unit that doesn't have a bypass block-off. I'm now thinking that under cold conditions the open bypass is allowing full flow, and not allowing the engine to warm up.

If this sounds likely, are restrictors available?

Thanks.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Not being listed in the Alfa parts books, I don't know if they were available when the cars were still new. It is said that many (most?) of them got tossed when the bypass hose was changed simply because not many folks even knew they were in there. They might be available in repro these days but I haven't looked. My first thought on someone, somewhere, having a used one on the shelf would be BBer hotlegs32 (Karen).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
3 different thermostats possible !

For Euro type manifolds there are at least 3 types of thermostats available:

- 2 fit-in types like on the pic above
- thermostat fitted into the top cover including an rubber seal in the cover.

The 2 fit-in types differ in the depth; there are two different thermostat housings; Gates # 33008 (or 33008S) is the low type and # 33208 (or 33208S) is the deep one.

If you fit the low type into the deep housing, bypass circle never will be closed when thermostat opens. If you fit the deep one into the low one, bypass circle will always be closed. So it needs measuring like shown in the pic attached.

May be you could post a pic of your m/fold to clear situation.

http://navigates.gates.com/AddedValue.aspx?PartNumber=33008S&Year=1976&Make=Alfa+Romeo&Model=Spider+Veloce&Engine=4-Cyl.+120&Class=Passenger+Cars+&+Light+Trucks&Type=Passenger+Cars

http://navigates.gates.com/AddedValue.aspx?PartNumber=33208S&Year=1976&Make=Alfa+Romeo&Model=Alfetta&Engine=4-Cyl.+120&Class=Passenger+Cars+&+Light+Trucks&Type=Passenger+Cars

Have a look @ links and note the differences in dimensions. Gates comparison list attached below the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very helpful.

My housing measures about 1.25" from the bypass circle (flange) to the thermostat seating surface, which corresponds to the deep variant.

I picked up a STANT 13378 (equivalent to Gates 33208) thermostat this morning. It fits with very slight spring pressure on the bypass plate (valve). This makes sense to me because when the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed, pressure in the system will force coolant past the lightly sprung bypass valve. As the thermostat opens, spring pressure on the bypass valve increases, making it more difficult for coolant to take that path. With the thermostat completely open, the bypass will have the greatest amount of spring pressure holding it shut.

If I've got this wrong, please correct me.

Thanks again guys for educating me on this topic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
GTV running a bit too cool

Greetings all,
Here's another query for this thread.
I don't think my GTV (Euro 1750, now with manually-controlled elec fan) has ever got up to the 180 deg mark on the temp gauge, and now I'm looking into this. First thing I found was that there's no bypass restrictor in the bypass hose, and next thing I saw was that the thermostat is a simple single-disc type. I would expect this combination to make the car run too hot, given that the bypass hose would be always diverting the flow away from the radiator.

So, I tested the thermostat, and the gauge-plus-sender combination, in pots of hot water and my kitchen thermometer, and everything looks correct in both departments - t'stat opens and closes somewhere around 180F, and gauge is within 5 degrees or so all the way up to boiling point. (As well as you can read these gauges, that is.)

So, it does seem that the gauge is telling the truth and the car really is not warming up fully (only to 160F or so). Does this seem odd to anyone else?

I just found a proper dual-disc t'stat in an old parts-engine I have lying around. I tested that in some hot water and it works properly, around 180F. So I'll try out that unit in the car. But I don't really expect it will make the car warm up any further.

Any thoughts, anyone?
Best regards,
Graham in NZ
(1750GTV, Alfa 156, Alfasud Sprint & ti).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts