Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rebuilt many fuel systems (1958 Spider, 1967 Duetto, 1958 507 BMW, 1973 Series III XKE, etc) that had old gasoline mixed with ethanol. The car will not start or run very rough due to a yellow colored residue. I recommend using a product called Ethanol Shield and it works great in my restored 1961 Sprint Veloce and in my lawn mower and edger. I put it in the gas tank once a year and also when I fill up the tank.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I'd used Sta-bil in gas systems the past, and on a recommendation this year tried Seafoam - in the lawn mower, as I don't care quite as much about it (i.e.= test bed). Seemed to work well there.

I run 100% gasoline in the 1976 Spider, but fuel line antifreeze/water absorber ("Dry Gas") is ethanol...

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
According to the Sunoco website, octane rating is more important than ethanol when it comes to fuel stability. Higher octane gas is more refined and 93 has a shelf life of about 1 year if it is stored correctly. 87 octane has a life of a few months under the same conditions.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Ethanol fuel (dog doo!) will cause serious damage to carburetors, engines and rubber hoses, etc. if allowed to sit for an extended period of time in humid environments. I will endeavor to only use only non-ethanol 'real' gasoline, like Rec 90 (available near recreational lakes and at most marinas) or even non-ethanol 87 in the older Alfa engines and lawn equipment.

For cars that are driven daily, ethanol is less of an issue.

Mark

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
Ethanol fuel (dog doo!) will cause serious damage to carburetors, engines and rubber hoses, etc. if allowed to sit for an extended period of time in humid environments. I will endeavor to only use only non-ethanol 'real' gasoline, like Rec 90 (available near recreational lakes and at most marinas) or even non-ethanol 87 in the older Alfa engines and lawn equipment.

For cars that are driven daily, ethanol is less of an issue.

Mark
Some of us have no choice. :frown2:

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
An App in the Playstore called Pure Gas attempts to show places that sell non-ethanol gasoline. Usually near the coast or marinas (for boats) and some in rural farming area.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
An App in the Playstore called Pure Gas attempts to show places that sell non-ethanol gasoline. Usually near the coast or marinas (for boats) and some in rural farming area.
Apple iPhone only, unfortunately. The Android version ("E0") is so poorly rated that I would not bother...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased the Ethanol Shield from a local store, and he said that this worked better than anything on the market including Sta-bil. I have used it for more than one year and would never recommend it if it did not work. The only ethanol free gas in Southern California is racing fuel or aviation fuel and both are illegal for use on public highways.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I purchased the Ethanol Shield from a local store...
When I look on the Internet, I turn up at least 3 different products by that manufacture's name, and even a 2-cycle oil (Just Say No to THAT :laugh2: )
Any more details on the exact stuff?? There's a pink one, an orange one...

Made in China, but I'd bet Sta-Bil is too, nowadays...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The product is made by B3C Fuel Solutions, and I purchased an eight ounce bottle part number B3C 1-008. The company sells a number of products and their Website is B3C Fuel Solutions. I am a user and not a dealer for this company. I have not used their mechanic in a bottle product and recommend rebuilding carburetors because the varnish is difficult to remove.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Some of us have no choice. :frown2:
I am sorry Brian! I used to use the Pure-gas app. and had to drive 25 miles north to get 'Rec 90' at Shell Enterprises; where they sell about 25 different types of fuel including racing fuel. Now, real gas is pretty easily available from about 10 different stations within a short drive -not counting marinas.

Hey Cuttlefish, I thought you should know that I found a stash of old 'Osso Di Seppia' newsletters from about 20+ years ago in my closet! Wow, how time flies...

Mark

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
I am sorry Brian! I used to use the Pure-gas app. and had to drive 25 miles north to get 'Rec 90' at Shell Enterprises; where they sell about 25 different types of fuel including racing fuel. Now, real gas is pretty easily available from about 10 different stations within a short drive -not counting marinas.

Hey Cuttlefish, I thought you should know that I found a stash of old 'Osso Di Seppia' newsletters from about 20+ years ago in my closet! Wow, how time flies...

Mark

Mark, thanks to the comment by Bruce (@anfanuts), I got online and found two stations that carry real gasoline. It was a 20 minute drive each way, but well worth it. The station offered 91, 100 and 110 octane gas. They even pumped it for me. I'm happy as a clam.

I still have a few of those old things. I kept one copy of each. It was a fun time trying to get something going. I am so grateful that Wille Roos has taken this thing on. He's done a great job of cataloging all of the cars, putting up the literature website and the Facebook page. It is hard to believe it was twenty years ago.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
Does that website have the same info as the App being the same organization?

Searching for "ethanol" reveals a lot of good threads on problems with ethanol fuel and treatments.

One thread discusses the dismal politics and economics (to anyone but agribusiness) of the government mandating ethanol in fuel. This is the grand farce.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
The link above takes you to a map (US or local) with no info. The map appears to be deactivated. Use this link: https://www.pure-gas.org/

The Android App is good as it parses only local stations in a widening circle if you allow it to access your location. Looks to come from the same database.

Some stations only sell Regular 87 octane grade in ethanol-free. Fine for small engines but even my 5.7L boat takes mid or premium.

A search yielded dozens of Threads discussing fuel additives and stabilizers (as well as damage horror stories).

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I found ethanol free gasoline in Los Angeles but, the gasoline was racing fuel and is very expensive. I decided to add Ethanol Shield to my 1961 Sprint Veloce and it works. I know that other states may sell ethanol free gasoline for motor vehicles and see what is available locally. I do not recommend any additive unless I have personal experience and have a box of used lawn mower carburetors that were damaged by gasoline that contained ethanol.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html
Looks like map is back online now, if not there are links for individual states at the bottom of the main page, they'll display list of towns in an alphabetical order.

I used to be able to get 93 up until 3 years ago locally (30min ride), now best I can find is 90 octane. Can't make up my mind about the use of booster. My hot street 1750 with 123 ignition and D (006 tuning / Jim Karamalakis) curve set at 34 degrees, does not ping.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I recommended using Ethanol Shield to an owner of several classic sports cars and help clean six Webers on his Daytona Ferrari Spyder. The idle jets are located on the side of the Webers and only one jet had some residue. The starting problem was due to a bad fuel pump and also due to some aged gasoline. I recently rebuilt a 1958 Spider Solex carb and helped clean jets for a 1958 Spider Veloce that did not run properly. The owner of the 1958 Spider has eighteen cars and the other has nine cars and recommended using Ethanol Shield for all of their cars. The annual cost of the Ethanol Shield for each car is about one dollar per year and I do not want to clean anymore carburetors that have old gas problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts