Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a source for the gasket/seal for the differential cover for the Alfa Romeo 2600 axle? I'd rather not use a sealant but use a replacement that is copy of the factory gasket/seal.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Dear friend, back before there was a dealer in Seattle for Alfa cars there were few others who had alfas. We formed the Northwest Alfa Romeo Club so we could help one another. No one had ever heard of AFRA in Milan or had any contact with the factory, We didn't even have parts books. But when it came to gaskets most of the old time guys could make their own gaskets from gasket paper. I confess I made and helped make lots of them in the four years before Bavarian Motors opened on Mercer Island and then moved to Bellevue. One can always get gaskets from lots of places now and there is an old time dealer in the Chicago area where the Alfa Romeo Owners Club started. I warn you that sometimes one can make better gaskets that one can buy. I still make my own gaskets for the side water jacket inspection plates on my two liter to keep the plates from being eaten out by rust from the inside. You mention differential cover and axle but either is a piece of cake. Use bullet casings to cut the bolt holes out nice and round.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear friend, back before there was a dealer in Seattle for Alfa cars there were few others who had alfas. We formed the Northwest Alfa Romeo Club so we could help one another. No one had ever heard of AFRA in Milan or had any contact with the factory, We didn't even have parts books. But when it came to gaskets most of the old time guys could make their own gaskets from gasket paper. I confess I made and helped make lots of them in the four years before Bavarian Motors opened on Mercer Island and then moved to Bellevue. One can always get gaskets from lots of places now and there is an old time dealer in the Chicago area where the Alfa Romeo Owners Club started. I warn you that sometimes one can make better gaskets that one can buy. I still make my own gaskets for the side water jacket inspection plates on my two liter to keep the plates from being eaten out by rust from the inside. You mention differential cover and axle but either is a piece of cake. Use bullet casings to cut the bolt holes out nice and round.
I have made a number of inquiries which have lead me to the conclusion that I too will have to make my own gasket out of gasket paper. It's not hard if you take your time and if you make a mistake making another one isn't expensive. I'll just have to order up some gasket paper shortly and go back to old habits.

·
Push hard and live
9,198 Posts
You can make a perfect differential gasket in less time than it takes to write a post on the AlfaBB.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have most of the original gasket but I am going to make five more as once you make them they last forever, just put them between two sheets of cardboard to keep them from getting damaged and put them on the shelf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts