Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my 2600 engine back together having it had mostly in pieces. Looked for a recommendation on BB for engine gasket sealants but I don't see a thread on that point.

I know the head gasket should need so sealant and I have a recommendation to use Wellseal on other gaskets (sump, oil pump, water pump, front cover etc) but is this generally what is used? Are there different sealants recommended for gaskets in contact with water, oil and fuel? And what about the copper exhaust gaskets and the gaskets to the exhaust manifolds which have to deal with high temp.

Has anyone researched this before?

Thanks.

·
Push hard and live
9,642 Posts
Spark plugs, oil, and gasket sealants. Perhaps this post should be moved to "religions and other non-resolvable metaphysical questions"?

Having said that....

New, original Alfa gaskets installed onto pristine surfaces should not require any sealant at all, beyond perhaps the isolated cases of where the factory suggested a little help around the rear of the head gasket on later 2000 engines.

Since you may not be using brand new factory gaskets, and your surfaces may not be perfect, religious advisors are often sought.

I like to spray some coppercoat on the copper exhaust gaskets. Not overly heavy, but it seems to help when there are slight issues with the sealing surfaces.

I've had good luck with Permatex Super 400 for helping non-coated paper gaskets.

Yamabond is my favorite at impossible-to-seal areas, such as the juncture between a rubber ring and paper gasket as might be found at the front or rear of an Alfa cylinder head where a distributor or belt drive is extended through the head casting.

High quality OEM gaskets are often coated with a sort of graphite, and I generally leave these alone.

We should remember that these gaskets may have to be opened up again for maintenance, and the wrong sealant can make the job very difficult.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
I know the head gasket should need so sealant
Wether or not a sealant is required depends on the manufacturer (Elring, Reinz, etc.) and the specific materials they used. So, check your gasket manufacturer's specs and recommendations for correct installation (for example, Elring has a good video called "Professional installation of the cylinder-head gasket" accessible from this page -- this video gives a good indication of how precise the prep work has to be for a good dry seal).

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Hylomar "M" is an excellent modern gasket sealer.

My favorite all around gasket sealer is old fashioned Permatex red aircraft gasket sealer, the kind in the squat container with the little brush attached.

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
Be careful with Hylomar. It causes problems when relatively small amounts get into the engine oil. There are plenty of posts on it from a few years ago. I was a believer in it until I found a "pudding" attached to my oil pump pickup.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Be careful with Hylomar. It causes problems when relatively small amounts get into the engine oil. There are plenty of posts on it from a few years ago. I was a believer in it until I found a "pudding" attached to my oil pump pickup.
The American Hylomar is apparently a different formulation than that used by Rolls Royce. THe Hylomar "M" that we used came in a spray can and was pretty expensive @ $35. It is said to be the original formulation. It's definitely sticky stuff.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gaskets are all new but not genuine Alfa parts. The head gasket is a UK made item using Reinz material. They are the gaskets sold by Classic Alfa and I'm sure they have been used successfully by many 2600 owners.

I looked at the Permatex product selector and the Elring video - thanks for these. I smiled as the guy in the video lifted the gasket off the block - my old head gasket, which was a composite, had welded itself to the block/head.

Time to make some choices.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
UltraGrey can't be beat, as with all sealants, less is more!!
I also recently used a Permatex anaerobic red on oil pan gaskets and rear axle flanges where there are no gaskets and I'm happy to report no leaks!! Yeah!

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
I will probably be criticized for this but I used Ultra Grey and no gasket on the timing cover and the lower oil pan. I have no leaks. Some folks think that I will have a hard time separating them on the next rebuild. Hopefully that will not be soon. On RJ's advice I used Ulra Blue on the O-rings on the piston sleeves. I have re-used the valve cover gasket umpteen times by applying a little ultra grey.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Not at all. I had to pull the pan on my Daughter's Altima and tried to buy a pan gasket when going back together. They don't exist. I was told the factory uses UltraGrey and no gasket. I believe that's how UltraGrey got it's start, as a OEM spec product. I'd never heard of it until then and been using it ever since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts