Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my motor rebuild kit and as a newbie I am trying to be prepared.

Does anybody know what these items form the gasket kit are for?

I have a 1967 Super where I am rebuilding a stock motor.

The four skinny o-rings look like that could go at the base of the cylinder sleaves. I have been stewing about how the coolant doesn't just drain down into the oil.

The big black rubber washer is a total mystery to me.

The larger of the two might be an exhaust gasket?? It is larger than the intake gaskets.

The smaller of the two might be for the breather on the valve cover gasket?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I haven't even opened the other bag yet that is full of copper washers and many other mystery parts.

Thanks, Todd

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
The four skinny o-rings look like that could go at the base of the cylinder sleaves.
Yup, you got that one right. I also smear some high-temp RTV on the bases of the sleeves before installation as a "belt and suspenders" measure.

The big black rubber washer is a total mystery to me.
I think that one goes on the inside of your oil filler cap.

The larger of the two might be an exhaust gasket?? It is larger than the intake gaskets.
No, I don't think that one is made from high temperature material - not exhaust. Thermostat housing perhaps?

The smaller of the two might be for the breather on the valve cover gasket?
Yea, either there, or for the "road tube" at the back of the block. Your engine will have one of these or the other, but not both.

Note that these gasket sets contain more parts than you need. They throw in gaskets for a variety of years, so you will have some leftovers.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay, that all makes sense. I do feel much better about thing knowing about the o rings. It was really puzzling me how that area could possibly be water tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts