Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I asked a while ago, but still seeing if anyone has come across a decent gas tank for the 2000 Touring Spider. I checked the usual sources and none exist. Thanks, Mark

·
Push hard and live
11,023 Posts
I’m simply too old to want to run the project, but I’d pitch in for a new one.

I’ve run a couple of parts projects, and sold the overrun to Classic Alfa at my cost. Thus, I got what I needed for free, and 102 owners got a supply, for a while, of the leftovers.

I can’t blame CA for wanting privateers to put the energy into such projects, but gas tanks will need a serious capital outlay. 100 tanks? $200 each? Between 2000s and 2600s, I reckon they’d sell quickly, and all of us would happily pay $500 for a new one.

Put on your big boy panties, MAS. I’m getting closer to Depends.

·
Premium Member
22,966 Posts
I just talked to Larry Jr at APE. He has a good one, cleaned, ready to go. We hauled three 2000 CI Spiders out of the Palo Alto hills last year, ton of extra parts with them. Call him at 925 200-1998.
Andrew

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andrew, just talked to Larry about this... Don ,thanks for the advice (and goading), but I hesitate to step into the undergarment discussion. About the gas tanks, I'm way past doing anything like that and, at $500 a pop, I never considered myself a manufacturing philanthropist! LOL

Reactions: ballough510

·
Push hard and live
11,023 Posts
DANG! Larry has a good tank!!

He knows I need one.

Bugger!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bumping this up. I also could use a good tank for a 102 Spider. Mine was rusted through at the drain plug and we've patched it but now no drain plug, which also includes a filter screen (apparently). Anyone have one? And no Don, I'm not in a position to manufacture them, as fun as that would be.

·
Push hard and live
11,023 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carmonkey, I do have the damaged tank that was replaced with the one I got from Larry. This tank has a long history for me. I had(against my own judgement) someone take out some dents from the bottom. It took them several months and when I got it back it leaked which it never did before. Apparently they grinded too much metal from some of the repair. I realized they were in incompetent so I repaired it myself and lined it with the good stuff from Caswell Plating. All good until I had the Alfa(still in restoring state) towed from my shop to my home(30 miles). Well, somehow the tow driver didn't tie something down properly and dented the tank in the SAME place I spend many hours repairing and of course it was leaking fuel. So I didn't want to waste anymore time on this tank and I luckily found a replacement.

This damaged tank leaks, but not from rust. All in all a pretty solid So. Cal tank that has been epoxy lined. I don't know how it can be fixed so I was actually waiting for someone that might need it for parts or would attempt to repair it. If interested let me know. Shipping it will be more then normal because of the size and shape. Mark

Reactions: ballough510

·
Registered
189 Posts
This damaged tank leaks, but not from rust. All in all a pretty solid So. Cal tank that has been epoxy lined. I don't know how it can be fixed so I was actually waiting for someone that might need it for parts or would attempt to repair it. If interested let me know. Shipping it will be more then normal because of the size and shape. Mark
Thanks, I will contact you off line about it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts