Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends... how do we eliminate the smell of gas in our spiders? When I drive a little aggressive, I can smell gas immidiately. Any suggestions, other than "do not drive aggressively. - By the way it doesn't matter if I am on a full tank or not.

Thank you.:D

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Probably seepage around the fuel sending unit flange. Check for any signs of seepage as well as around the hose connections. Could also be a leak or plugging up of the evaporative control hoses.

It only takes a tiny bit of seepage to create a pretty strong smell.

What year Spider is it?

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
The S3 Spiders have a vapor recovery system. There is an 'expansion' tank plus hoses and a one-way valve & air vent - all located in the compartment just forward of the trunk. (I assume other models are similar.) Then there is a hose that runs along the inner sill (beneath the passenger side carpeting) to a cannister in the space behind the right side wheel well. From there a pair of hoses go up to the engine bay - one to the intake duct and the other to the intake plenum.

The hoses must all be in good condition. The one way valve and air vent must not be clogged. You can clean the valve and vent by removing them and squirting some carb cleaning spray into them. Make note of which way they are attached.

Greg Gordan at Hi Performace Store sells kits for replacing those hoses.

Finally, make sure the filler hose is in good shape and the tank doesn't have any rust holes in it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Why 2 fuel pumps?

Why are there 2 fuel pumps on my spider? The wiring diagram shows a submerged one inside the fuel tank and the other up the line.

To prevent vapor lock we would put the electric fuel pump in the back nearest the fuel tank and make sure the fuel line steers clear of hot items like headers and such. But I never thought I might need 2 pumps!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The in tank one simply acts as a 'pusher' for the main pump so it doesn't have to siphone fuel up through the sending unit and then through the hoses til it gets to said main pump.

The main pump is the one that does the real pushing and pressurization up to the rail.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Hmmm....

Thanks. It still sounds odd though.

Why not submerge the powerful one and push the fuel up the line. Then there would be no real siphoning.

Oh well, they must have had pretty good reason for doing it. I would like to have been an Italian fly on the wall in that engineering meeting!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
For all I know, they went with the little one in tank and the big one underneath so they didn't have to retool the great honking pile of fuel cells that they had out in the warehouse to allow a big one to fit in that little sending unit hole. ;)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Friends... how do we eliminate the smell of gas in our spiders? When I drive a little aggressive, I can smell gas immidiately. Any suggestions, other than "do not drive aggressively. - By the way it doesn't matter if I am on a full tank or not.

Thank you.:D
Found a pin hole in my tank once,up above, v near the weld with the 3 tubes coming out, pressurized the tank (carefully!) with air, then brush on soap bubbles, and watch for bubbles. Had it repaired, BUT still gas odor plagueing me. Have to live with it. I tried everything in the book!! Nothing worked! Spent 2 yrs off and on chasing it. Forget it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is absolutely NOT a normal aspect of owning an S3. They didn't smell when they left the showroom floor and if properly maintained, they shouldn't smell now. My 85 used to have a terrible gas odor whenever I filled the tank. I ended up getting Greg Gordons kit. I replaced all the gas lines and the filler hose. My car no longer has the gas odor and it is much more enjoyable to drive. These are great vehicles and we are passionate about them. Don't settle on this issue. With diligence, it can be fixed.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My Spider smelled of fuel when I first had it. My problem was the filler hose clamps had come loose. You could see small amount of gas weeping out between the hose and the fill neck. I retightened and all is well.

Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would get it fixed on health grounds. I think petro fumes are carcinogenic...even though they smell nice.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Well, I know you guys mean well, and that you are trying to cheer me up (wiping the tears from my eyes, snifling), cuz I have had it bigtime with this gas smell troubleshooting. You dont know what lengths I have gone through to chase it. I have done way more than yous describe from above posts. checked the check valves, new clamps, new filler neck tube ($50 for that stupid thing), pressurized the system repeatedly, thinking I missed something, new high grade fuel injection tubing, NO soap bubbles showed up after sealing off everything AND pressurization.

When I found that pin hole, I shouted Yahooooooo. But I was the big fool. It did minimize it , of course, but that low level stink is still there. Shame Shame, Alfa engineers, taking to many espresso coffee breaks!!!!! Ford shoulda bought out Alfa, not Fiat.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I would get it fixed on health grounds. I think petro fumes are carcinogenic...even though they smell nice.
LOL....Right, along with vinyl shower curtains, and all vinyl products, grilled steak/chicken, well done toast, well cooked bacon, fatty foods, etc etc.

For real, gas smells should be avoided.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Ouch!

Don't start a flame war around leaking gas tanks! I empathize with your trouble. Take a coffee break or an entire weekend and forget about it for a while. When you return reenergized, the solution will reveal itself.

Stiff upper lip. Nothings ever as bad as it seems. Silver lining, and all that.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My Spider smelled of fuel when I first had it. My problem was the filler hose clamps had come loose. You could see small amount of gas weeping out between the hose and the fill neck. I retightened and all is well.

Dave
Dave, you are one big lucky guy.....seems like you nailed the problem first time around.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Don't start a flame war around leaking gas tanks! I empathize with your trouble. Take a coffee break or an entire weekend and forget about it for a while. When you return reenergized, the solution will reveal itself.

Stiff upper lip. Nothings ever as bad as it seems. Silver lining, and all that.

Good luck with it!
LOL!! Thanks for the laugh, bud.....Really, This is just funny as he**. Flame war....LOL!

Really, I put it behind me (I think??). Man, though, I believe you are right in that it eventually reveal itself, although, probably not v soon.....

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Busted knuckle club

All members of the BKC have been there and done that. We feel your pain brotha'!

·
Registered
122 Posts
[war story]

I once owned a honda civic which made a HUGE gas smell when i first filled it, and every time i turned a hard corner... so I ended up dropping the tank and found the previous owner had tried patching it repeatedly. It was the ugliest pile of gas tank sealant I'd ever seen! I wondered greatly how a gash like that could get into the *top* of a tank like that...

One gas tank later, smell is gone, and gas mileage is up. Who woulda thought? :)

[/war story]

1 - 20 of 72 Posts