Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I turn off my car I smell gas. No leaks, no fuel residue under the hood.
I do notice that the fuel lines running to the injectors are somewhat "wet", or have wet spots.
Anyone have a solution to stop gas vapour leaks on these lines, or do I need to get new hoses?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Gas smells

Jeff,

You might want to check the fuel system components in the trunk compartment. Check for hairline cracks/seepage of fuel in the lines that go to the pastic fuel vapor recovery tank (big plastic bottle on the left). There is also a check valve located in the same area that may not be functioning properly.

Also while you are there pull up the carpet and check the lines going to/from the gas tank and the rubber gas filler tube. Make sure your gas cap seals properly.

Anyway, if you can get a HC/CO meter it'll quickly help you nail down where the source of the smell is. I had it last year on my 91 and it stopped doing it all by itself and hasn't come back. Seems to be more of a summertime problem when you have less than a full tank of gas and you get a lot of vapor expansion in the system. Probably happens in the winter too but none of us drive our cars enough in the winter, probably!

As far as replacing the injector hoses, I did it recently and it was pretty easy...hardest part was getting the old hoses off! My injector lines did not leak but a couple of them looked heat damaged/old so I thought I better do it. The fuel rail and injectors should easily unbolt from the car and really all you'll need is a sharp utility knife and some patience. The Alfa manual depicts using a hot knife of some sort to burn off the hose. Can't imagine it would smell too good but I guess they don't want you to damage the barbs on the injectors and rail. I think you'd really have to use a lot of force to damage the barbs enough to cause a leak though.

I think the foot of good quality fuel injection line cost about $20 (pricey stuff). I cut the new pieces to the same length as the old ones (about 2")

Good luck and be careful working around fuel lines!

·
Registered
203 Posts
for what it's worth I have occasionally smelled gas coming from the front of the car. And recently just tightened up the clamps on the hoses and the smell went away, but I would probably recommend changing those hoses every so often especially if they're damp A pin hole leak and even give off the smell of gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts