Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i'm driving I get a gas odor. not always . there's no leaks. what do think. Also i'm going to change exhaust gaskets from exhaust housing to engine pipes should I use copper gaskets?

·
Administrator
18,842 Posts
Odor of raw gas or exhaust? If raw gas there must be a leak somewhere. Lift up the carpet in the trunk and check the connections on the top of the tank & the hose from the filler to the tank.

If an odor of exhaust, check for exhaust system leaks but a common source is a too short tail pipe. This lets exhaust gases exit into a low pressure area right behind the car. Check the trunk lid seals. A longer tail pipe & or a down turn at the end gets the exhaust out of the low pressure area.

Even with all the above in proper working order I have found that opening one window seems to encourage exhaust fumes to enter the cabin. The solution is to at least partially open the passenger side window.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odor of raw gas or exhaust? If raw gas there must be a leak somewhere. Lift up the carpet in the trunk and check the connections on the top of the tank & the hose from the filler to the tank.

If an odor of exhaust, check for exhaust system leaks but a common source is a too short tail pipe. This lets exhaust gases exit into a low pressure area right behind the car. Check the trunk lid seals. A longer tail pipe & or a down turn at the end gets the exhaust out of the low pressure area.

Even with all the above in proper working order I have found that opening one window seems to encourage exhaust fumes to enter the cabin. The solution is to at least partially open the passenger side window.
the other question is what tipe of gaskets should i use from exhaust manifold to engine pipes ?

·
Premium Member
1985 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 Graduate
58 Posts
I just went through this. Replaced the filler hose, all the hoses in the trunk with an HPSI kit, gasket on the sending unit assembly, and the fuel lines to and from the filter under the car. Found lots of little cracks that were not creating puddles or drips but definitely fumes. Got rid of about 90% of the odor but still get some coming from under the hood so I’ll be interested in what you find/do to resolve it. Likely replacing headers and exhaust this winter…

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,565 Posts
If your'e getting a raw gas smell take it seriously. I was getting an occasional raw gas smell in the '91 that I couldn't track down. Happened one day on the way to work and I opened the hood, found a solid stream of gas spraying from the hose feeding the injector rail. Combination of loosened clamp and old rubber, could've burned the car down.

Gas leaks are not to be trifled with.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Because gasoline is so volatile, it evaporates quickly and there's often little to no liquid left to point to the source of the leak. When you get a whiff of the leak, pull over right away in a safe spot, raise the hood and trunk, and look for a leak in progress. Once the car has stopped and is sitting in the driveway for awhile, unless it's a huge pouring leak, you may not see any liquid puddling anywhere.

·
Registered
370 Posts
when i'm driving I get a gas odor. not always . there's no leaks. what do think. Also i'm going to change exhaust gaskets from exhaust housing to engine pipes should I use copper gaskets?
When's the last time you checked all of your fuel lines? I had a very faint fuel smell, then it got real bad and I saw a drip from one of my braided fuel lines. Worth your while to check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts