Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas mileage on my 164 dropped from around 25mpg to 18mpg. Car still runs good except the idle does cycle sometimes and check engine indicator comes repeatedly. What could be the cause?

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
Coolant temp sensor resistance to high, O2 sensor not working correctly, and/or maybe throttle min max switch out of adjustment.

Is it a 12v V6 or 24v or 4 cylinder? It helps to tell us these things. What one you got?

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, forgot to post back. The diagnostic indicated problem with oxygen sensor. Had sensor replaced and problem resolved. Back to normal gas mileage and steady idle.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
id give most anything

for 25 mpg. I am now at 19-ish (half freeway half stoplights) on both 24V cars, and a pretty light foot (I think!). Whats the consensus on 24V mileage these days? I used to get 20 and a tiny fraction -- of course my main car is at 208K now---

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
I did a road run of 300 miles to a friends house last week and stayed off the Interstate except for about 30 miles of the trip and I got 21 mpg with BB1 my 164L w/AT. I ran it pretty hard on highway and went through lots of small towns with slow downs/stops for lights and buch of pit stops. I had to hold off a persistant Volvo S60 Turbo for quite awhile who just couldn't let me be ahead of him. I finally decided to make a pit stop at a Micky Dees to get rid of him.

This car has about 198k on it now.

I think the best I have gotten with it once was 25 mpg.

I also did some sightseeing on way back later in the week. Had a great 600 mile trip but didn't check my mileage on the way back at a more sedate pace.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've never been able to figure out the mpg differences experienced. I've never gotten better than an average of 19-20 mpg for combined driving, and even mostly highway driving at around 60 mph in my 1991 164L with auto trans. No engine codes, just low relative mpg. Fortuinately I only drive about 4000 miles a year, but still don't like to waste gas. "Dimples" from April hail storm damage have'nt chagned my mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts