·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 Spider

Over the summer I replaced the

1. Fuel Filler Neck Hose
2. All other hoses...from tank to metal main line and
3. All hoses related to the vapor recovery system. (including the little one-way valve)

To simplify my life I bought a "kit" that I saw advertised here on the bulletin boards that contained pre-cut hoses for each and every need back there.

For a bit the fuel smell that permeated the cabin was resolved, and I was happy.

But then it came back. I actually had my wife watch in the trunk when I started the car and she saw fuel spraying out where the hose connects to the metal main line. There was a clamp on there but I noticed that the hose was pretty loose. I expected a real tight fit...but maybe the ID of the hose is a millimeter too much (?). So I slid the hose on further and tightened the clamp more. Problem solved I think.

But last weekend I started up the car and pulled it out of the garage. There was a of gas on the garage floor. And then I realized a lot of gas had accumulated on the top of the gas tank under the metal plates that cover the tank.

*it has gotten much colder here in Seattle of late (fyi)..maybe effects how quickly the gas evaporated?

Part of me thinks that when I put gas in the car that it escaped where the filler neck (new) attaches to the gas tank. I need to check this next time I fill 'er up.

I just bought new fuel line from IAP, which I think is 'definitely' the right diameter ... whereas what was in that kit I bought might have been too big.

ANY THOUGHTS ON ALL THIS?

It really surprised me to find all that gas accumulated in the trunk. I hadn't run the car in a month or more.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe a fuel vapor line fitting that is on the top of the gas tank has cracked and is allowing fuel to escape. That was my issue in the trunk of my GTV. With the tank full, remove the carpet and just slightly push on the top of your tank and observe any weeping or escaping fuel from any of the soldered fittings. It may be a failed solder joint that has come loose from the tank. I wish you luck in finding the leak.

--Doug

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
On an 88 Veloce I used to have the gasket on the sender/in-tank fuel pump was the source of a gas smell in the trunk. You can order a new gastet from IAP for less than $3.00 last tiime I checked.

Robert

·
Registered
705 Posts
First, that is scary.

Second, if your new hoses are not snug on the fittings when you slid them on, tightening down on hose clamps will not seal them in the long term. It's like tightening a big pair of pants on a skinny person. You are just gathering them in.

Gasoline is VERY thin and will slip through any available aperture, especially if it is under pressure.

I would check the fittings using a micrometer, and buy the correct interior diameter size hoses. Also, please remember to buy hoses that are rated for gasoline. Some are rated for gasoline vapor only, and should not be used.

Disconnect the battery (carefully so as not to spark the gas) and don't drive the car till you fix this.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My 86 fuel tank developed a leak at the seam of the upper and lower tank halves. It would of course leak whenever there was enough fuel. It made a little gas moat out of the space between the tank and bodywork where the tank flange mounts to the trunk floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts