Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody post or send me a picture of how the spring is attached to the inside of the door that provides access to the gas cap.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Carl, it is is a standard extension spring with straight ends to hook on. You can find the attachment points with a small light and a dental mirror. The one on the door is more obvious and is a horizontal tab at the bottom with a hole in it for the spring to loop into. The end attached to the body goes into a vertical fixed tab like it in front of the lower hinge and is hard to see without a mirror. If you need dimensions of the spring, let me know. You should be able to find one close or easy to modify in a hardware store. The door will not have to be removed for installation

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out the spring holder on my door is completely broken off, which made how a spring was attached such a mystery. Now I need the door and spring.

·
Premium Member
21,713 Posts
I may have a maroon Berlina door in my stuff, will look this weekend when I take my haul to the swap meet. I'm sure I have an extra of the fiddly little springs; it's actually a complex little sucker, though a normal spring might work.
Andrew

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Carl, try to repair the one on your car.. I have a had experiences with a Fulvia where a replacement door didn't fit up because of variations in the pre-robotic assembly methods. I also know of this problem in Giulietta Berlinas. You will have to take the door off either way so a photo of what you have would be helpful. Then it's those pesky rivets to deal with on the hinge.... it's always something.

·
Premium Member
21,713 Posts
I found my gas door. It's not perfect, but if it's better than what you have I'm happy to let you have it. I'll take a pic this weekend. A bit bent, and someone bent the spring attachment tang, though you could bend back.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,713 Posts
Got it. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you. It's light enough to go 1st class, should be cheap.
Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts