Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching a new gas cap on Ebay... I waited till the last 20 minutes to bid, I figured my max was 100 bucks. I stayed in until 120..... it went for 202.50 :001_huh: That is $2.50 more than I paid for my first car :001_rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,788 Posts
Can you explain why Alfetta gas caps are so pricey? Apparently you expected it to go into three digits. Isn't there any modern equivalent from a manufacturer like Stant?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wanted the lighted factory key for my Milano that was on eBay within the past few months. It went for over $150. I couldn't justify that.......I haven't seen another one though.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Gas Cap

Seems to me the gas cap is not a consumable...so why is it needed so often? If its lockable it should be difficult to steal....maybe the owners often lose the key and theyre forced to break it open or they forget to put the cap back after refueling altogether.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
As Stefano mentioned... sometimes the cap ends up on the roof when gassing up, and you drive off without replacing it. Happened to me ONCE, ages ago. Learned my lesson. But, that was back when these were still available new, and cheap.

My Blazer has a short lanyard on the cap to prevent that. I've considered trying to create something similar for the GTV6, but never got around to it.

Since these rascals have become that valuable, maybe having one 'borrowed' is the bigger worry now, tho. Certainly a strong temptation, for even the most honest of us, if it's not locked.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was watching a new gas cap on Ebay... I waited till the last 20 minutes to bid, I figured my max was 100 bucks. I stayed in until 120..... it went for 202.50 :001_huh: That is $2.50 more than I paid for my first car :001_rolleyes:
I have a gas cap ( with key)
if you're interested, pm me !

( just need to put my hands on it .. :) )

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Miles. I actually have one. Its just the Alfaholic disease of hoarding parts, especially the hard to get parts. The fact that this was NOS made me want it. I will clean and paint my cap...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Here in Aus the 'gas caps' have been worth a mint, ever since I started working on my first Alfetta 11 years ago [left it on the roof at the servo, went back and found it broken on the road but fixable].

·
Registered
69 Posts
cheap non-locking replacement!

I found a cheap non-locking functional replacement if anyone needs a quick and painless solution. It's used on 70s Fiats (124, 128, X19) and fits; obviously doesn't look as cool, but WAY better than what I had previously. It's the Stant 10824. (Stant 11824 and 46102 MIGHT be the same part, and 46102 seems to be branded as Federated, Rockhill, and PartsMaster which look to be listed for the same application.) I've confirmed that 10824 fits and tightens, can be removed okay, and is currently on mine till I find a locking cap. I found them on Ebay, but it's possible that local parts suppliers may have them. I actually bid on that $200 one as well, naively hoping my $75 bid would hold up!

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
There is an ebay guy from Greece who seems to have many of these. Bought new one w/keys for 60$ two years ago...maybe he is still around...

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
I found a cheap non-locking functional replacement if anyone needs a quick and painless solution. It's used on 70s Fiats (124, 128, X19) and fits; obviously doesn't look as cool, but WAY better than what I had previously. It's the Stant 10824.
Does this also fit a GTV6? If so, I'd buy one (or two) & put the original key-locking gas cap in my safe deposit box...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Eric,

yes it does! I just got one for my 81 gtv6 and it's now on my car. After two tankfuls, I found it works great and it passed the full-tank sharp-right turn test. It needs to go on a bit snug, but because of its fairly narrow outside diameter and center handle it can be removed relatively easily (unlike the last one I had; there are a few variations of this Fiat/Alfa-compatible cap with the same thread that matches the gtv6's cap. The other I previously had fit but I had to use a crescent wrench to remove--ouch).

It's solid, one-piece metal with a nice thick rubber seal. A disadvantage is that it leaves that filler cavity a bit open, unlike the original that is wider and spans across it. This is the one I bought (I have absolutely no commercial interest, just the best deal I found. This listing even has a decent picture of the threading). $9.30 w free shipping; note the thread pattern is the same but it's without that inner protruding cylinder): Stant 10824 Metal Fuel Gas Tank Cap 1971 1979 Fits Many Fiat Made Vehicles | eBay

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
To confirm, the Stant 10824 gas cap does fit our '81 GTV6. As stated above, it doesn't 'fill' the opening the body but it would be a perfect spare or $10 replacement for a missing original.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got a late GTV4/6 cap in mint condition with key last weekend for $80 AU. A guy advertised put a picture of a bunch of bits on Fleabay and he lived 8 km from me. I could just make out on the blurry image there was a fuel cap and went around pronto.

I also got a set of rear pads, two SKF rear wheel bearings, front badge assembly, combination switch (with wires cut) and a couple more bits... all up: $180.

Funny, yesterday I just bought a 1979 Giulietta 1.8 for parts for less than that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts