Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Garage find ( Now with some pictures 7th and 8th posts)

A neighbourhood gentleman who has known I have admired his car for 30 plus years is now a the point where he is considering selling the car. It has a 2 owner pedigree. The car is complete as far as I can see. He has driven it very little in the past 30 years.
-painted once in original colour. Oxidized white patina
-no rust perforation, maybe a little rust on closer inspection
-needs top. Fabric only as hardware is fine
-chrome and all trim is complete in and out
- orig am/fm/sw radio
-39000 miles
-original tires
-needs pad under hood and trunk deck lid
-all glass is good
-seat upholstery is fine but cushions are flat. Carpet is so-so
-Dash has been removed and replaced with some awful textured goo.
-needs exhaust system
-he has run the engine regularly but not out of the garage for 15 years
- transmission/diff etc unknown
-single carb
Whats this 1966 Alfa Giulia 1600 spider worth?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
help

I'm new to this site and was hoping to have some replies to my post by now. Is asking for a ballpark value against the forum rules? If so I'd be happy to take it down. If not, does this car roughly fit in any of these ranges?
a. $5-10,000
b. $10-15,000
c. $15-25,000
d. $25,000+
Any other tips or pointers for this project will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My guess would be "A", with a possibility of mid "B".

·
Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
We LOVE pictures. Photo's of the underside, trunk floor (battery corner) and sills. These are all key issues to the structural soundness of these cars, and as such, cost of repair and value. The type of storage will seriously effect structural condition.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Pictures would really help. Be patient, not all the experts spend all of their time here..

I'm no expert, I'd guess B.

bs

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, the battery box in the trunk is fine with no visible rust. In fact the owner has a battery connected so he can fire it up periodically. It has been stored in an unheated but dry garage for the past 33 years in a fairly dry climate. Has been out on the road no more than a couple dozen times since the mid 70's.
I was told that there was some work done on the sills when it was painted some 25-30 years ago and I see no rust bleeding through the paint or bubbles.
There is a tag on the firewall says; Alfa Romeo spider 1600 type 10123.
I hasve a few pics on my iphone but will have to get one of my kids to help me get them onto the post.
I sure appreciate the help and comments to my questions.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Hi 4banger, welcome to AlfaBB.

I think the reason you didn't get much of a response is that the value or price of the car depends on condition, and usually a "words only" description cannot properly reflect that condition -- unless the description comes from a well-known expert with a good reputation.

The question of "How much is it worth?" most of the time depends on "I know it when I see it" (but even pictures can lie). The matter gets further complicated by the fact that one man's treasure is another man's trash (I know the figure of speech goes the other way around but it's usually the seller and not the buyer who thinks the car is worth more than actual value).

So, show us what the car looks like (by posting pictures on AlfaBB other another site like Flickr or Photobucket) and I'm sure you'll get some interesting opinions about the cars condition and value by some Alfisti who know the model very well.

·
Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
Rudi called it right as usual. It looks like the car would need considerable restoration work to be a good driver. Unless you are a mechanic, upholsterer, painter and body man, as well as a soft top fitter, all this will cost considerable money. As has been mentioned many times on the BB, DIY restorations are often not all these cars require to be nice drivers. A nice 64 Giulia Normale driver is worth what some future buyer might be willing to pay. Most of us have seen very nice, professionally restored cars like this bring way more money than you might imagine. If the car has a successful show background like cars owned by George Krause, Randy Pene', Lionel Velez and others that frequent this section of the BB, the car develops a following, and sometimes, a higher value to a prospective buyer, than a car with no show history. On the other hand, there are many owners like Patrick Hung that have managed a complete restoration on their own, learning skills, or sub-contracting work as required. These are also VERY nice cars, and what many owners attempt, with results that satisfy their desires and financial abilities.
What I am trying to suggest here, is that the purchase price of a 45 year old or older car is just the beginning. You obviously want to start with the best possible car at the lowest possible price. However, in the long run, that starting point is what it takes to get the car away from the current owner. That owner may or may not have any idea what his particular car is worth.
If you want THIS car, buy it. I do not know where you or the car is located, but scattered around the country are very knowing Alfa shops, with owners that, for a fee, will come and look at the specific car with you, pointing out problem areas as well as good points.
Most of us reading (or writing) this thread will know exactly who the individual might be, closest to you, that can give you some direction or suggestions.

Welcome to the Alfa Romeo collective! The more you read, the more addicted you will become. This is guaranteed. Many of us have been working on these specific cars for 45/50 years or MORE! I do it for love of these cars. Each one "saved" brings me joy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Gordon for your experience, insight and sober thoughts. You mentioned "THIS" car in your reply. Well, heres why:
I delivered papers to the original owner, he later sold it to the present owner who lived next to my high school. I have drooled over her since 1970, to the disbelief of my boyhood friends. Fast forward 40 years and I asked the older gent what his intentions are for the car. He said he would like to sell it to me, but doesn't know what we should arrive at for a price. Over the years he has had many Alfa buffs approach him but has never talked to anybody he would want to sell the car to. (I think I'm starting to understand the sentimentality of Alfa owners) He has known about my crush on th Giulia for over 3 decades.
I have always loved Alfas but never owned one. I owned a 1971 Datsun 240Z and my best pal had a 1972 Alfa Spider. Driving his car spoiled me forever. Lost my lust for the 240 and moved on.
I live in a dry temperate climate in British Columbia, winters are cold and summers are dry. I know there are plenty of resources in Vanc. but I am several hours away. I think I will need to do my own due diligence on this one. The owner doesn't appreciate nitpicking "wiser advisors" unfortunately. You can see from the photos that the garage area is small and hard to get under the vehicle.
Will try to get more pics on my next visit. What are the most telling shots without putting the car up in the air?
Thanks again,
containing my excitement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me again. I wanted to clarify that I am as interested as much in the project as the end result, and finally driving the car. My last nestling is off to university and I am looking forward to tackling a restoration with my free time.
I am an owner/ partner in an Import new vehicle dealership and have access to equipment, tools, and expertise(albeit not Italian). No body shop.
I have a reasonable budget for the restoration and am OK with taking a few years to complete.
Given I am not a master restorer (as some of the Member's you mentioned),what condition flaws would be deal breakers for me on this car?

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
4banger, now we're getting somewhere: You tell us that YOU want to buy the car and get it on the road for your own enjoyment -- so, the question changes from "how much is the car worth on the open market" to "how much should YOU pay for the car" and "what cosmetic and technical standard is acceptable to you" (i.e. what imperfections can you live with given a certain amount of money spent).

If I were you, I'd start with a repair budget: First, get the CarDisc DVD with the owners, shop and parts manuals to learn how the car is built. I would add Pat Braden's Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible and his Twin Cam Companion books to the wish list.

Then, look at some of the web sites in the AlfaBB supplier list and figure out how much you'll have to spend to get the car running safely: Overhaul of brake and clutch hydraulics, steering and suspension (if necessary), wheel bearings (if necessary) and for doing a general tune up on the engine (oil and air filters, ignition, carbs, etc.). This then pretty much becomes your checklist for the car (i.e. what is and what is not original, what needs to be done, etc. -- all of which helps determine the price). If the engine is running or turns, don't forget to do a compression test.

If there are no rust issues, the above-mentioned items should get the car on the road (without addressing any cosmetic issues or risking your life). Then, drive it for a summer and make a list of what needs fixing in what sequence of priority.

BTW: It sound like you're in the BC interior (more Kamloops than Okanagan). Is this correct?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ruedi, I now see you are in Vancouver. I'm in Quesnel.
Really great suggestions. Time for me to start doing some homework. The books and dvds should be on their way soon. Are there many of these cars around?

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
I think there are about 3 or 4 in Vancouver (not all owners are club members). If you can, come visit the Father's Day meet in North Van, make contact with some owners and ask them what to look for.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Administrator
13,436 Posts
I don't see why this car in the pictures could not be made into a good little driver with little money. Heck it looks pretty tidy to me ... but yes Alfa's know how to rust, but if the price is right, I'd buy it.

Pete

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed on a price today. Will be delivering a cheque tomorrow and picking the car up next week. Can't wait to become an owner and not a dreamer. Looking forward to getting to know some BB'ers online.... and thanks for the helpful replies.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
These are great cars. Posters on this thread love them as do I. You have thought about it long enough, so now you will get to be an owner. You will have fun. Drove my '65 earlier this evening. A great fall drive with the top down and plenty of admiring looks. Twenty miles later, my mind is refreshed for a new day. Great cars!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts