Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
One of the reasons why the the Dunlop calipers struggled is not because they did not work properly but because owners unknowingly installed brake pads(same dimentions as those specified for Alfa Romeo) that were for a heavier car, the Jaguar which had a harder pad material, so the pads would not come up to temperature with the lighter Alfa Romeos as Del points out 'they always took about 1 or 2 seconds or so to start to brake'. Source page 26 in The GIULIA COUPES 1963-76 b Chris Savill who reprinted a story titled The Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT, plus notes on the GTV and GTC by David Edgington, Sept' 1984.

·
Premium Member
16,010 Posts
Not in this case as I always used the proper as called for Alfa supplied brake pads for the first Sprint GTs, which this one was, and the brakes always acted this way in heavy rain. Drove that car for 260k miles, and it didn't change until I installed the ATE front brakes half way through.

Had nothing to do with the wrong pads being used; however, yes, I could imagine what could happen if pads developed for a different car were used either by accident or on purpose. As far as I could figure out, had to do with the front brakes not being properly shielded and/or Alfa chose the wrong pad material from the beginning. They were always the specific Alfa labelled pads for this 64 Sprint GT back in the middle to late 60's.

·
Push hard and live
9,871 Posts
I owned a 65 Sprint GT with Dunlop’s. Daily driver in Houston for several years in the 70s. Plenty of heavy rain, including water up to the axles. No problem with brakes, ever.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Front pads were PD type, the colour code being two green spots. Just orange spots or orange and blue spots indicate the hard Jaguar pads. Source David Edgington, Sept '84(In Savill book)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I have had very good luck with the original Dunlop braking system with the exception of front pad squeal. I typically have to scuff up the front rotors with some sand paper every few hundred miles to stop the squealing. I'm using the road version pads offered by Alfa Stop. Maybe there's a better alternative, I haven't tried ay others. As for the running issue with my car it turned out to be the condenser. She's back running like a top. Thanks all for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
It's great to see all the fine work you've done on this very special Alfa. I'm a firm believer in the 1-2-3 Bluetooth distributor. They just make everything easier, especially when trying to optimize timing for an older engine not meant to run on the crappy fuel we now get. You can build custom curves and load them until you find the one that makes her the happiest.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

The car is finally complete. Now if only I could get it to run correctly. Ignition troubles have been intermittently causing trouble. View attachment 1635161 View attachment 1635162

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi from another GTC owner.
Lucky man - ours still used regularly, by my daughter! It ferried us all over France, Italy and Switzerland for years. Wonderful car - and the rows in Italy where they refused to believe it wasn't just me cutting off a GT roof!!!
Check out the GTC Register in Holland. It's only been going about 3 years but very active and nice people.
Enjoy.
Glyn

61 - 68 of 68 Posts