Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No real updates just wrenching away and scouring the internet for all the missing parts! I did manage to get the grill installed which took some massaging! It is a super nice solid stainless one from Alfaholics but small end sections need a little grinding and tweaking to fit. Currently seeking a correct intake manifold and lower plenum within the usa. Any bones thrown would be greatly appreciated:grin2: Psk I feel I may be crucified by fellow members if I come near this thing with a roof and welder hahahaha.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
How about a Nissan motor?

No on second thought, do exactly what everyone here said. It is a very special car. Is red the original color?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got the motor together this weekend! I'm starting to think this valve cover may not be correct. Does anyone have any idea? I have looked at many pictures of GTCs online and have seen from the ones with clearance cut for the air box crossover and a pcv port to the ones that are just plane like mine. My air box has a pcv port on it so I really don't know whats original to the car, the air box or the cam cover.:confused1:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'm 99% sure all GTC's had the cross over air filter, which would mean you indeed have the wrong type of valve cover.

Also the valve cover bolts you have are the later style, the ones in the attached photo are the correct ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My engine seems to have a slight lean to the driver side. The motor mounts are from classic alfa. When compared to the two older left side mounts I have all three vary in height slightly. I would assume this tilt Is not normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My engine seems to have a slight lean to the driver side. The motor mounts are from classic alfa. When compared to the two older left side mounts I have all three vary in height slightly. I would assume this tilt Is not normal.
Looks good to me...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hello 280chevzy !

I just see your post. Not an expert in GTC, but know very well the model.

You engine is correct and correct position into the car. (you know that Weber model is specific to GTC)

Picture of GTC engine, hope it helps.

Pics are mine and car was mine...

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hello 280chevzy !

I just see your post. Not an expert in GTC, but know very well the model.

You engine is correct and correct position into the car. (you know that Weber model is specific to GTC)

Picture of GTC engine, hope it helps.

Pics are mine and car was mine...

Chris

Thank you very much for the pictures and info. As for the Webers I believe I have it correct that they should be 40 DCOE 27'S which they are. Its funny how these cars have slight variations in the engine compartment. My car has the coil mounted on the frame rail below where yours is shown. Also the relay (for the horn I think?) is mounted on the fuse panel and not the fender. Looking at the brake booster/servo in your car, it looks like you have the cast iron Lockheed version? I have the Lockheed one and I haven't found much information referring to it. Bonaldi parts seem like they are identical.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hello Tom,

Please have a look at these pictures : original untouch engine bay from 1965 ; original GTC engine bay ; original 1600 Zagato engine bay...

Today some coil have "oil" inside (ex, the blue Bosch made in Brazil)

But there are dry coils as well. So you can put the dry coil in horizontal way as shown in pictures and corresponding at the position they had at their factory exits.

That does not mean that all alfa had the coil in this position.

The most general case being in a vertical position, or oblique in some duetto. But I try every time to respect the %"&@#!! details that existed when working on a car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
280chevzy

The correct and original carb is Weber 40DCOE4 on the GTC.

The brake system is Dunlop and the servo was Lockheed (english suppliers at this era). Bonaldi same design I think.

There are always slight variations in the details between a model of the same series. At that time, there was no rigor in setting up peripherals on the assembly line...

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Darn! I know I ran across a chart that listed the 27's as correct but apparently I need to do more research. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts