Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am the proud new owner of a 1965 Alfa GTC. I have been creeping around this site for a few months. The info on here is amazing. I am new to alfas so I figured it was time to make a formal introduction. The car is in amazing condition with shipping plastic still on parts of the interior. This car was a garage find so to speak hence it has been off the road in a garage and somewhat disassembled since 1972. It seems to have no rust but had some severe body damage along the fenders and doors as if it was a magnet to every shopping cart and car door in town. Both sides along the body line were banged in repeatedly and the passenger door was caved in. I wouldn’t believe that there was no rust but had just about the whole car down to the bare metal and not a spot to be found. Since I have had it I have replaced the passenger door skin reshaped the body lines and a new coat of 501 Rosso red applied. The motor and transmission have been out of the car and torn down for 30+ years so this next step is going to be quite the challenge. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,168 Posts
FYI.... Alfa, not Alpha.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Of all the cars to find in a "barn"!

Tell us all about finding and buying this incredible car; please.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes please tell about the car and any history you know of. Tis a very rare animal you have caught.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was more of a garage than a barn hahaha. The car belonged to an older gentleman who purchased it in the early 70s. Not long after he disassembled it to do some improvements and it sat that way until 2014. It was so buried under junk in the garage you could hardly see it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't mind my wooden brake pads in the brake calipers. I was testing brake system and don't have my pads yet.

·
Push hard and live
9,168 Posts
Just in case you're not a long-time, well briefed, Alfa enthusiast....

What you've got is one of the very rare cars that Alfa made. Many would argue that is is far from the best they produced, but in the Alfa world rarity generally translates to enhanced value.

If your car was a standard 65 Sprint GT, it would be enjoying a healthy market appreciation right now. I bought a very nice 65 Sprint GT in about 1973 for $500, and drove it for several years. That car today, in #1 condition, would probably bring $25,000 - $40,000. Maybe more.

The Sprint GT was a mass-produced car compared to the GTC.

So few GTCs come on the market that I don't know their current level of interest. It'll be more than the standard Coupe.

What is my point?

You would be wise to do an utterly perfect, no modifications, no cut-rate restoration on this one. Any cut corners at all will probably knock $20,000 off of its market values. There is truly no cost savings to be found that won't be punished if you decide to sell it. If you discover any modifications done by the previous owner, they should be removed, and all evidence erased. For instance, I'm not familiar with the front bumper overriders you've pictured. Maybe they were unique to th GTC, but if not, you should consider removing them, and repairing the bumpers to original appearance.

Generally, I'm not a slave to originality, but the ultra-low-production Alfas tend to warrant their own rules.

·
Push hard and live
9,168 Posts
I just checked Hagerty, and they suggest a #1 condition GTC is valued at $109,000. A #2 condition would be $76,000, and a #3 at $58,000.

As you can see, you've got a car that will pay you back for whatever it costs to do correctly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was curious about the bumper. They have certainly been on it for a long time but I would be curious if they were an option. Its a shame the bumper has holes in it now. I am new to Alfa and greatly appreciate any advice. I did a little research about GTC and got a pretty good grasp on how rare they are. My budget would decide how extensive the restoration I can provide although its in such nice shape I kind of hate to change things. I wouldn't have painted it if it wasn't for the body damage. One thing I am curious about is the exhaust. the original exhaust is under the car and is perfect other than a little rust here and there. I have a brand new system In the box but I expect I would be better off to leave it how it is.

·
Push hard and live
9,168 Posts
The overriders do, in fact, have a slightly "Touring" looking to them. However, I've never seen them before. If you can establish that these were provided by either Alfa or Touring, then keeping them would be something of a plus, although they make jangling noises in my eyes. There's not nearly as much published about the GTCs than the similar, but different, GT, GTV, and GTA. If you can find period photos showing more than one with these overriders, perhaps you can make a persuasive case they were "original".

Since you've read about the GTC, you'll know they were actually assembled by Touring rather than Bertone, and were Touring's last bit of work before folding up shop. I don't know if the emblems for this car should read "Touring", or "Bertone", but I suspect the former. I also don't know to what extent the common GT/GTV body repair parts will fit, as there was some reinforcement done to the chassis structure to stiffen it up to replace the missing hard top.

It is possible to weld up both stainless and chromed bumpers and have them refinished to like-new. Not cheap, but that was my point about investment vs return. Every $100 saved on this restoration will probably cost you $1,000.

"Original" exhaust is perhaps less important than some other elements. If your new exhaust was made by the OE manufacturer, or one or two equivalent sources, you're probably better off changing than leaving visibly rusty components. You wouldn't want to put on a US-made, clamp-together system.

We all sympathize with budget concerns, but may we ask what you did to repair the body damage? Crudely beating out the panels and gobbing them with bondo will certainly result in payback time should you decide to sell it. Repairing GT body damage and rust with correct repair panels is not cheap, but on this car, it would be an economic tragedy to do otherwise.

Even the tiniest details will draw close attention if someone is in the market for this car.

Of course, you can do a home-project restoration, make it look nice, and drive it for a long time. That's what I'm doing with my Touring Roadster, and am content the choice is correct for me. There were around 3,400 of the 102 Roadsters made, and slightly fewer 2600's. There were around 900 GTCs made, and given Touring's lack of rust treatment, I expect a very small percentage of these still exist.

Hasten slowly, repent in leisure.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
A look at the Giulia sprint GT, Giulia sprint GT Veloce, Giulia sprint GTA, Giulia GTC parts book c.1967, shows that the GTC wears the same bumpers as the other 3 models and no bumperettes/over riders are shown as standard or optional. The name plate, 1 only listed as required and is shown on the left side, part number 105.25.61.210.00/01, Touring 1.02.16.107, NAMEPLATE, <Touring> stylist. The parts book depicts it as having rounded ends with placement similar to the <disegno di Betone> badge on the other models where 2 are used.

Nice project

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
If this were my GTC, I would follow Don P's advice to the letter as this is the LAST car from which I would want to perpetuate, or create, an Abnormale!

I would contact Bill Gillham, a.k.a. HooliganSuper, here on the BB. Bill is an Alfa restorer extraordinaire and is fanatical in his attention to detail. He has a beautiful red GTC, though I do not know if he restored that car.

To begin and complete the quality of restoration of which Don is speaking, will require a major commitment of both time and money, and will not be for the faint of heart, but the result would be worth every minute and every dollar.

Remember: A precious few of us will ever get the chance to ride in, much less, own one of the incredibly-rare Alfas. Please resist the temptation to make a "good enough driver" out of it; it deserves the Class A treatment!

All the best,

Ray

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't think you should feel compelled to do a 100 point restoration.

As long as you "do no harm", restore it to driver level and enjoy it. It will continue to appreciate as you enjoy it.

If you plan to just flip it, then better off selling it as is. You won't get a return on a budget resto.

JMHO.

Marc

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think any damage I was going to do has been done since its already painted. At this point im just trying to get in back together and im not the one who took it apart so that's always interesting. I really have no intention to make it into a show car and ultimately im sure it will be for sale. Whoever gets it can do whatever they want. This car is honestly so nice I don't plan to take it apart other than to fix what's broken clean what's dirty and put it back on the road. Dpeterson3 and Kengta Thanks for the info its greatly appreciated. I Guess ill have to look for a bumper or fix this one. Due to the lack of rust anywhere the only real body repair I did was I replaced the passenger door skin because it was caved in badly. I really don't know where the panel was from as it was included with the car but it fit really well. I also did some hammer and dolly work on the driver front fender and very little filler was required. I painted it back with PPG 501 Rosso which was the closest match I could find.

·
Push hard and live
9,168 Posts
Chevzy

The only reason I spoke up was it seemed you were somewhat unfamiliar with Alfas, and I hoped to encourage "first, do no harm".

You'll be fine putting it all back together, driving, and enjoying it. I'd leave the overriders for now. Why not? It sounds like they came from back in the day. If someone wants to buy the car and redo it, those won't be a significant part of the challenge.

Do, please, keep posting, along with pictures!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure thing! One question for the experienced members. Should I continue this thread or should I start a new one somewhere else?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts