Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about buying a dehumidifier for my garage. Am hoping to provide a dryer climate for my two Alfas.

Does anyone have any experience and advice with dehumidifiers? I have a large 2 car garage with a ceiling. What size would I need? What makes are best? TIA, David

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did some research earlier this year and chose a Therma-Stor Santa Fe unit for my 1600 sq ft unfinished basement. It was more expensive than a big-box store special, but it removes far more water per day (over 100 pints) faster (it runs a few hours a day versus the continuous operation of my old unit). The basement sits at 50% RH all day even when outside its up much higher.

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
Hot & Humid (&moldy!)

That sounds good Jim. Where I live, north of Chicago, it can be hot & humid. My garage / shop is insulated, wood frame. Used to get moldy, so I bought a medium sized dehumidifier. Running 10% or less of the time, it keeps my (about 2.5 car) shop about 55% when it's 90 degrees and 90% outside. Problem is, it can make the shop HOT. Solution is a 6500 btu air conditioner mounted through the rear wall. Now I have 55% humidity and 75-80 degree interior temps on hot humid days. I CAN work in there! Best, :DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim and Gordon, Thanks for the replies. The Sante Fe looks to be a very good one, but alas it is mighty costly. Would a big box store unit do the tick? What are the pitfalls?

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
BAMAALFA,
I bought mine at a local hardware, it is Fridigaire brand and cost me about $175. Came with a 4 year factory warranty. I felt it is a longer term purchase and for what I could afford, would do the job. So far it has.
Best, Gordon Raymond

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Try Lo-Tech

All,
While I agree that it would be nice to have a dehumidified or air conditioned garage, wouldn't one get a significant benefit just by running a fan continually at low speed? Keeping the air moving, especially at floor level, makes it harder for condensation to form on the undercarriage when the temperature drops and the humidity is high.
Just a thought,
Bob A.
Paducah KY
Where we just experienced about 2 weeks of 100+ days with remarkably low humity.

·
Registered
69 Posts
does anyone know if a dehumidifier has any effect on the amount of salt in the air? Im currently living close to the ocean (500metre/yards) and have noticed my tools are picking up surface rust, even in the garage. Prior to this I was living in the outback with low levels of humidity and rust. Im terrified my Alfa is going to rust before my eyes if I dont do something before transporting her over.

·
Registered
434 Posts
At a home about 200 feet from the coast ten years ago I had a real humidity problem. It was often foggy in the mornings, etc. I bought and ran 2 sears kenmore dehumidifiers. Unfortunately, in my case it didn't work very well. Opening the garage doors several times a day defeated much of the effort. And the garage had vents to the outside that let fresh humid air in.
If you can keep your garage closed and sealed, I expect it might work well.
But note, that if you have gas appliances in your garage, like a water heater, you definitely do NOT want to seal the garage, you really need those vents. Actually, you really need those vents if you keep any vehicles or things that might generate flammable fumes in the garage. I've heard that gas fumes are heavier than air, and vents near the floor lets those fumes escape. Gas appliances (with a pilot flame) are mounted well above the floor by code, to keep them above those fumes.The combination of altitude for the appliances and vents along the base of the garage helps prevent the garage from bursting into flame. So generally, its a very bad idea to seal your garage.
This makes for a generally tough to solve problem in humid areas. I'm sure it's possible, but just sealing your garage and installing dehumidifiers would be a very bad idea. Find a very good way to vent the garage safely.
C

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
Vintageveloce has given another reason for my small, through the wall, air conditioner, besides making it possible to work on hot days. I always have it set on "vent", so besides the natural venting of my frame garage, I have forced venting even when the conditioner's compressor is not running. It is very difficult for the average garage or small shop owner to create a comfortable, dry, explosion proof shop in a hot humid climate. Gordon Raymond

1 - 9 of 9 Posts