1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
yes, what the appropriate material be that could be printed? I've never done this but assume there are online companies that can take that file and print in a variety of materials?

Thanks, this is my final missing piece

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes, what the appropriate material be that could be printed? I've never done this but assume there are online companies that can take that file and print in a variety of materials?
They can.. Shapeways can do it. I'm considering making these for people too. I'd like to see how my ABS (FDM) print fares after a few weeks of daily driving to work before committing. I've got a ABS-PC filament which should be ideal (but is more expensive to print with), so I'm trying regular ABS first. Glass temp of ABS is 85 to 105C.. Not expecting the cam cover, nor the engine compartment to reach those temps.

Thanks, this is my final missing piece
It was mine too... I made this and that little rubber acorn that goes on the 80s style brake fluid reservoir..

[Edit: just checked the tube.. drove a good hour in traffic today. Its still in great shape.]

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should....
Please note that I'm talking about glass transition temps, not 'melting' or extruding temperature.

Our cam covers should be the same temp of the oil... My engine temps don't go past 180F (~80C), if oil is hotter than the engine, it should not be by much. I may just go pick up an infrared thermometer and test after long drives.

Please feel free to back up your statement with data...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Great job! If the ABS doesn't hold up, PETG has a higher melting temp (by ~20C) than ABS, and is supposed to be stronger too.

I have a spool of PETG, but haven't printed anything with it yet. If you'd like, I'd reel some off and mail it to you so you can try it out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the offer, Shakey. I've also got some Nylon (Taulman Bridge) which I've found to print excellently that I can try. So far so good with the ABS.

If anyone has an infrared thermometer, could they take a reading of the cam cover after any long drives (or drives in traffic)?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I'm not speaking from a lot of experience with engine temps but seems most modern cars have plastics for valve covers, my last 2012 M3 for example. I'm not sure exactly of materials and certainly love to see aluminum there but these are different times.....please correct me if wrong, I don't spend much time assessing modern cars, just drive them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a follow up, two weeks in daily traffic (an hour in most cases) and the tube is still in the same shape it was when printed. ABS is the plastic very commonly used under the hood, along with ABS+PC blends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts